Talk

Advanced search

Iris Murdoch

(15 Posts)
thepatchworkcat Mon 04-Dec-17 14:40:44

Anyone a fan of Iris Murdoch? What book should I read? I read The Sea, The Sea a few years ago and mostly enjoyed it, although I think I found some of it bewildering. Would like to try another but not sure where to start.

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 05-Dec-17 21:16:09

The Black Prince is very good, though the central character is notably similar to that of The Sea, The Sea.

tobee Tue 05-Dec-17 23:57:35

I liked The Bell when I read it ages ago.

TonTonMacoute Sun 10-Dec-17 15:23:45

The earliest ones are probably the best to try, they are a bit more straightforward. Second The Bell, and Under the Net is fun too.

thepatchworkcat Sun 10-Dec-17 20:26:16

Thanks!

ScreamingValenta Sun 10-Dec-17 20:29:49

My favourite is A Fairly Honourable Defeat. Also love The Bell, The Sandcastle, An Accidental Man and The Good Apprentice.

ringle Sun 10-Dec-17 20:29:50

May I just pop in to say

"Only a fool despises ketchup".

I so rarely get the chance.

As you were.

ScreamingValenta Sun 10-Dec-17 20:30:26

ringle grin

Liliywil Tue 12-Dec-17 17:35:50

I've read "The good apprentice" and its really nice.

Gruach Tue 12-Dec-17 17:43:12

I can't remember individual titles; all I know is that I read several in my 20s and was traumatised for about 15 years. Completely upended my naive 'hail fellow, well met' attitude to other people. The depths of devilry, betrayal, staggering reversal of fortune ...

<Shudders>

(Brilliant though.)

onemouseplace Tue 12-Dec-17 17:47:51

Love Iris Murdoch, although not having read one for a few years, I'm struggling to remember individual plots, other than The Sea, The Sea.

Looking at my shelf though, I remember really enjoying The Philosopher's Pupil and The Good Apprentice.

SunshineClouds Tue 12-Dec-17 17:55:33

The Sea, the Sea is extraordinary. I spent a weekend pinned to my sofa reading it (ah the days when I could lie and read all weekend).

I also enjoyed Nuns and Soldiers. Some fantastic metaphysical speculations in it.

MiddlingMum Wed 13-Dec-17 21:04:36

I love The Bell, and I remember enjoying The Green Man years ago but don't remember much about it. I found Under the Net a bit tedious, but The Sea, The Sea is good.

The memoir Iris by her husband John Bayley is worth a read.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 13-Dec-17 23:11:08

The red and the green is my favourite

thepatchworkcat Thu 14-Dec-17 15:33:32

Thank you everyone for the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now