Talk

Advanced search

Lincoln In The Bardo.

(14 Posts)
Clawdy Sun 03-Dec-17 12:47:23

Anyone know when it's out in paperback? Thinking it might be my book club choice next year, but it would need to be in paperback.

southeastdweller Mon 04-Dec-17 07:50:49

It’s out early February.

Clawdy Mon 04-Dec-17 16:42:27

Thanks! smile

annandale Tue 05-Dec-17 07:57:02

Ooh was about to start a thread about this and here it is. Got it from the library. 50 pages in and it's already heartbreaking.

RMC123 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:51:32

Have found my people. My favourite book of the year!!

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 07-Dec-17 11:32:50

I enjoyed this a lot too. Read it on Kindle but would think a better experience in book form.

BeverlyGoldberg Thu 07-Dec-17 11:43:02

I’ve got it on audiobook but struggling to get into it. I’m not that far in, should I persevere or just but the book?

BeverlyGoldberg Thu 07-Dec-17 11:43:22

Buy* - sorry typing in a hurry!

onemouseplace Thu 07-Dec-17 11:49:37

I'd get the book BeverlyGoldberg - I can't see it working especially well as an audiobook as I would imagine reading out the descriptor for each paragraph would end up being quite intrusive? I found that when I was reading I scanned/ skipped over much of them unless they caught my eye for some reason.

I loved this book, one of the best ones I read this year. Beautiful, sad but funny and I loved the narrative.

ShovellerDuck Thu 07-Dec-17 20:39:49

What the heck is a bardo?
I keep reading about this book but nobody has explained what it means.

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 07-Dec-17 21:10:49

Bardo is a Buddhist word for a state between death and rebirth - a bit like purgatory. In the novel Abraham Lincoln mourns his son who has died, and spends a lot of time locked in the crypt with his body, grieving and unaccepting of his death. The novel explores the idea that his son’s “spirit”, if you like, is kept in this liminal space, perhaps by his father’s grief; that they are both in limbo, unable to go back, but not knowing what lies before them. It imagines vividly what might await us beyond death, morality, and examines many different ways of living, and the meaning of life, in short. Difficult to explain as it is unusual in style and subject, but hope it gives you an idea smile

ShovellerDuck Fri 08-Dec-17 20:57:07

Thanks Satsuki. You’ve explained so well that I’m now sure I don’t want to read it!

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 08-Dec-17 21:56:54

Ha ha, it’s not for everyone for sure! I enjoyed it because it was a bit different. I hate wasting time on books that aren’t my thing so glad I helped you dodge a bullet smile

icetip Fri 08-Dec-17 22:50:56

"...a mouth on yours; a hand on yours; the ending of the day; the beginning of the day; the feeling that there will always be a day ahead"
Loved this book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now