Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for good quality young adult books.

(24 Posts)
Foxjar Sun 03-Dec-17 10:40:07

Ds 14 has read loads so running out of options to give for Christmas. No suicide please and preferably decent quality. Not into fantasy. Loved John Green, Rainbow etc . Has read To Kill a Mocking Bird, Book Thief, Boy in Striped Pyjamas etc but didn't enjoy them as much. Want to up the quality but not kill his love of reading as he's not as keen as he used to be.

Gruach Sun 03-Dec-17 11:08:55

John Buchan - All the Richard Hannay books.
Geoffrey Household - Rogue Male
Richard Hughes - A High Wind in Jamaica
Daniel Defoe - Robinson Crusoe
And, following a tip on another thread, I'm thinking of supplying all the teen boys I know with Caitlin Moran's How to be a Girl. (Though I can't vouch for the quality of the last!)

Papergirl1968 Sun 03-Dec-17 12:02:00

Not young adult but a teenage boy might enjoy Jeffrey Archer’s Paths of Glory about an attempt to climb Everest. No sex or swearing etc.

Redsrule Sun 03-Dec-17 16:17:01

Sally Gardner's Maggot Moon or The Door That led to Where are excellent or how about Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime? My DS loved the Hornblower and Jeeves and Wooster books at this age. How about biographies? Good luck, it is great if teens continue reading.

Hobbitch Sun 03-Dec-17 16:19:26

His Dark Materials
Patrick Ness novels (I loved Release)
Anything by Melvin Burgess

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 03-Dec-17 16:29:15

Gruach I really wouldn't recommend the Caitlin Moran book to a 14 year old boy (or girl). It's very explicit. It is a great book, but I wouldn't give it to someone that young.

At 14 my ds really enjoyed Historical Fiction. Bernard Cornwell's series of novels about King Alfred was a big hit. He also enjoyed "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"

Liliywil Sun 03-Dec-17 18:12:08

Some recommendations would be
The Last Mission by Harry Mazer
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Russian Roulette by Anthony Horowitz

NotAPenguin Sun 03-Dec-17 22:35:55

My DS 12 has just surprised me by enjoying Dissolution, the first of the Shardlake books by CJ Sansom. He is studying that period at school so pulled it of the shelf for him but was expecting it to be too dense a read.

Again historical fiction type but he and his very bookish friend have absolutely devoured the Otori books by Lian Hearn. www.amazon.co.uk/Across-Nightingale-Floor-Tales-Otori-ebook/dp/B0044XV5OO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lian+hearn&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512339674&sr=8-3

And he has read a couple of Agatha Christie books which he enjoyed - maybe not the most exciting Christmas present material though.

Ginfiend Sun 03-Dec-17 22:39:20

The black magician series by Trudi Canavan.
The Magicians Guild, The Novice, The High Lord

allinclusive Sun 03-Dec-17 22:41:19

Theodore boone series by John Grisham.
Anthony Horowitz Alex rider series.
Classics like lord of the rings, hitchhikers guide etc.

Unihorn Sun 03-Dec-17 22:43:22

Anything by David Levithan - Boy Meets Boy, Nick and Norah, Realm of Possibility and Every Day especially.

MoNigheanDonn Mon 04-Dec-17 10:00:09

@Ginfield one of my favourite series!

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is amazing.

Rainbow Rowell is great for YA, especially Fangirl, Carry On and Eleanor & Park

MoNigheanDonn Mon 04-Dec-17 10:01:02

Oops rhought is said DD, DS wouldn't like Rainbow Rowell I wouldn't think, sorry.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:44:13

Some classics?

A Day in the Life of Alexander Solzenhitsyn
Of Mice and Men
Catch 22

Life of Pi
The Kite Runner
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

The Adrian Mole books
Biogs of anyone he’s into.

Private Peaceful -Michael Morpurgo
How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff
Skellig - David Almond
Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman
Hell and High Water - Tanya Landman

Some funny non-fiction like I’m Dave Gorman or Yes Man by Danny Wallace. Not necessarily high quality but if it gets his reading mojo back?

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:26:35

I did of course mean One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. I kept looking at what I'd typed and couldn't figure out what was wrong. blush

Foxjar Mon 04-Dec-17 17:58:38

He actually loved Rainbow Rowell smile, Theodore Booone and some of the others mentioned. Currently looking through the other titles recommended. Release by Patrick Ness just gone in the shopping basket to start. Many thanks all.

Ginfiend Tue 05-Dec-17 01:24:12

@mo I like them too!!

Sadik Tue 05-Dec-17 21:30:46

Has he read The Hate U Give Foxjar? If not I'd really, really recommend it. DD (15) read it then passed it on to me.

SparrowandNightingale Tue 05-Dec-17 21:48:48

Hobbitch I loved release. Also reread Mrs Dalloway and Judy Blume - forever before as I knew they were influences. Also Patrick Ness is a lovely man.
Just for reference there are teen themes of love and sexual relationships.

SparrowandNightingale Tue 05-Dec-17 21:50:56

Russian Roulette is by a mile the best Alex Rider book although there is no Alex in it. Really enjoyed listening to it.

SparrowandNightingale Tue 05-Dec-17 22:05:14

Books by teens have enjoyed
The Lie Tree by Francessa Harding
The Outsiders by S E Hinton
Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt
Frankenstein By Mary Shenley
World war Z by Max Brooks ( written reporter style about the zombie war)
I am legend by Richard Matterson ( more zombies)
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman
A Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend
Hitchhiker books by Douglas Adams
Although DS2 has currently regressed back to Artemis Fowl books. He's been quite poorly.

multivac Tue 05-Dec-17 22:12:22

Release is brilliant and beautiful - it's also very intense and pretty explicit (I note you say 'no suicide' in your OP, so you might want to have a read of it yourself first, before passing it on).

If he enjoys John Green, try him with The Sun is Also a Star (Nicola Yoon) - it's excellent.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 05-Dec-17 22:29:45

Release is the most explicit of Patrick Ness’s YA books so be warned. Ness is a fantastic writer though - but you may want to start with the Chaos Walking trilogy, as well as The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

DS is 14 and a voracious reader: he has recently loved Day of the Triffids, has been devouring Dan Brown at a rate of knots, loves anything by Sebastian de Castell.

He does love fantasy though - I suppose Neil Gaiman wouldn’t appeal if your DS isn’t a fantasy fan. How about Bill Bryson? DS finds him funny. And he really enjoyed Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Simon Mayo writes some teen fiction too which DS has enjoyed.

midsomermurderess Thu 14-Dec-17 17:14:07

Simon Mayo’s books get good reports, his Itch series, and Blame
www.penguin.co.uk/authors/simon-mayo/1069597/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now