Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a scary book

(15 Posts)
Mulch Sat 02-Dec-17 21:06:18

Recently read woman in black which I enjoyed. I'd never read horror genre before. Follows by girl on the landing but was very underwhelmed. Any recommendations for a good scare

waycat Mon 04-Dec-17 04:40:02

Try anything by Mo Hayder.

While not strictly horror, I would classify her books as a mix of thriller and horror - scary and creepy but also edge of your seat page turners that are just brilliant.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:47:56

The Haunting of Hill House is nicely creepy in a similar way to The Woman in Black.

squirre1 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:00:59

I like Joe Hill. The heart shaped box was eerie

BabloHoney Tue 05-Dec-17 12:05:00

There is a great thread on Stephen King books on here, so many wonderful books to choose from!

Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land or You by Caroline Kepnes - not horror as such, but very creepy.

VittysCardigan Tue 05-Dec-17 12:11:19

I came on to suggest Heart shaped Box by Joe Hill but have been beaten to it! (Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King)

I have just read & enjoyed Thin Air by Michelle Paver

LJ17xx Tue 05-Dec-17 17:00:56

Saw this post and was going to recommend the woman in black! Just finished this myself

LJ17xx Tue 05-Dec-17 17:02:01

I saw the book for the angel of death. Don't know how good it'll be though as I'm guessing it's a book of the film?

bobbyshafter Tue 05-Dec-17 17:06:50

Don't Look Now - a short story by Daphne Du Maurier. Creepy as.

Mulch Tue 05-Dec-17 18:30:39

I've just got daphnes Jamaica inn someone at work recommended her

Austentatious Tue 05-Dec-17 18:33:55

There's a fantastic book called Night Film by marisha pessl which I can't recommend highly enough. Set around horror movies but it's not horror fiction (I'm a wuss)

TheEagle Tue 05-Dec-17 18:38:20

Mo Hayder is certainly scary. Her novels also deal with very grim subject matter - paedophilia, incest, graphic accounts of murder/rape.

I felt sick after reading one of hers and I wish I’d never given the other one a go. Just to warn you!

I’ve seen House of Leaves recommended over and over as a scary one to try.

Matthorrors Fri 08-Dec-17 19:16:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

theavianexecutioner Fri 08-Dec-17 19:19:23

Creed by James Herbert
The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

Synecdoche Fri 08-Dec-17 19:25:42

Michelle Paver, Dark Matter
Henry James, The Turn of the Screw
Sarah Waters, The Little Stranger
Susan Hill, Dolly

All fantastically creepy. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now