Advanced search

Ghost stories for 12 year old please!

(19 Posts)
Willowthewasp Sun 26-Nov-17 21:38:17

Anyone know any ghost story books that would be appropriate for a 12 year old, she can read anything ability wise it's the appropriateness that is relevant, no sex etc please

Anyone know of any??

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sun 26-Nov-17 22:58:31

Well at that age I was lapping up Stephen King and so was my own DD but if you're looking for more wholesome things, I suggest M. R. James.

Is her reading and language quite good? M.R. James is the master of Victorian ghost stories.

His short tales are quite hair raising but completely lacking in sex and violence.

Whistle and I'll Come to You is memorable!

Otherwise you're looking at Goosebumps type stuff which is quite childish for 12.

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 26-Nov-17 23:13:47

Time of the Ghost, by Diana Wynne Jones? It's a page-turner but nothing remotely sexual.

BillywilliamV Sun 26-Nov-17 23:22:13

Lockwood and Company by Jonathon Stroud, there are four or five books. About an alternative world where ghosts are everywhere and an agency that deals with them. Especially good as maon character is teenage girl who really kicks ass. They are fantastic and really quite creepy in places.

Synecdoche Sun 26-Nov-17 23:24:58

The Scarecrows, Robert Westall
The Amazing Mr Blunden, Antonia Barber
The Owl Service, Alan Garner
A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
Ways to See A Ghost, Emily Diamand

Synecdoche Sun 26-Nov-17 23:26:17

Plus another vote for Diane Wynne Jones and Jonathan Stroud! 'The Screaming Staircase' is the first I believe.

Willowthewasp Mon 27-Nov-17 07:18:34

These are great! Thank you! She's just finished 8 Agatha Christie books and is a real book worm but she's obsessed with creepy stuff now and I didn't know what to go for. Will check them out and get her a couple for Christmas smile

Foxjar Mon 27-Nov-17 07:49:55

My dd 12 who has similar tastes just did The Woman in Black at school and loved it. Susan Hill has written others.

Foxjar Mon 27-Nov-17 07:51:57

Dd quite enjoyed enjoyed the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradbury last year. Not ghost but Agatha Christie type murder.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Mon 27-Nov-17 08:05:47

Oh yes The Owl Service! What a book!

Synecdoche Mon 27-Nov-17 13:08:53

If she likes A.C. she might also enjoy 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James or his collected ghost stories. The best kind of old-fashioned creepy and perfect for this time of year!

Edgar Allen Poe's short stories are excellent. Not all strictly ghost stories but certainly enough to give the gentle heebie jeebies.

As a PP has said, Susan Hill can be good for this age. I'd suggest 'Dolly' as well as TWIB.

BabloHoney Tue 28-Nov-17 15:18:52

When I was 12 I loved the Christopher Pike books, he wrote some ghosty ones! Can't say any of them were worthy booker prize winners or anything, but great and spooky when you are 12 smile

If she did want to start with Stephen King, I'd recommend 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' as a good one to start with.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:26:27

I started reading Poe at 12 - found the stories really creepy. I also had a Penguin anthology of ghost stories - mostly Victorian gothic. Nothing inappropriate in them at all.

What about Dracula? Not ghosts I know but still spooky.

The Birds and Other Stories - Daphne Du Maurier

Recently I read Tales from the Black Ship by Chris Priestly. Deliciously macabre!

As well as The Owl Service I’d suggest The Weird Stone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner.

babybythesea Sat 02-Dec-17 19:29:51

Moondial - Helen Cresswell.
The Haunting - Margaret Mahy

Depending on exactly what her tastes are:
The snow spider series - Jenny Nimmo
They are fantasy rather than ghost but they definitely have a creepy air about them, especially by the end of the series.
The Dark Is Rising series, starting with Over Sea, Under Stone. Susan Cooper. Again, fantasy more than ghost but a fantastic set of books.

yawning801 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:32:51

Mystery Horse by Jane Smiley. It's for "young adults" but I've read it. Nothing sexual, a lot of horsey terminology and quite Christian-based, but it's based around a horse whose owner has died and the new owner keeps seeing the ghost of the old owner... or something like that.

lucydogz Sun 03-Dec-17 20:24:39

not a ghost story, but similar, and brilliant, is Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr.

BabloHoney Sun 03-Dec-17 20:43:23

Agree with Lucy - Marianne Dreams is wonderful and very creepy book!!

Dapplegrey Sun 03-Dec-17 20:46:42

Yes to Marianne Dreams and Whistle and I'll come to you.
Also, The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde.

ourkidmolly Sun 03-Dec-17 21:47:24

Something more modern and young adult is Frozen Charlotte, my dd loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now