Talk

Advanced search

Any other Constant Readers here?

(81 Posts)
modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:02:24

I’m a massive Stephen King... just wondered if there were any more here, and what you’re reading?

I’m currently reading Finders Keepers (second in the Bill Hodges trilogy; follow up to Mr Mercedes).

It’s not his usual style, and I enjoyed his epics ie It, The Stand and Under the Dome more, but they’re fun and easy to read.

TossDaily Wed 15-Nov-17 19:11:01

I've just re-read The Dead Zone and really enjoyed it, though it's very sad.

Yes indeed.

(Whispers) I have a tattoo and everything.

squirre1 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:43:13

You have a tattoo??

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:48:57

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie yes, another superfan! 👍😍

Have just read the new one with his son, Owen. Unfortunately, it was pretty rubbish.

Have messaged you, ModifiedMummy

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:29:25

@RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie ah Sleeping Beauties? I’ve bought it but not started it yet. Heard lots of mixed reviews!

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:30:18

@TossDaily That is in my (ever-growing) TBR pile. 😀

squirre1 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:31:08

Is that the sleeping beauties one? Bugger, I just downloaded that. Was it really bad or really really bad?

it's not as dreadful as Revival but not as good as Mr Mercedes if that's enough of a guide!

HumphreyCobblers Wed 15-Nov-17 20:36:52

Here I am! In fact I was ConstanceReader on here a while ago.

I really liked Mr Mercedes.

I was thinking about this the other day and realised my new favourite is Dr Sleep.

Tattoo?! <impressed>

TripleB32 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:43:16

B

Hi Humphrey. You always appear for the King threads!

I also liked Mr Mercedes. Sleeping Beauties is substantially worse, but not quite as hideous as Revival or Needful Things.

TripleB32 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:44:06

Another constant reader here! Placemarkimg at the mo as I’m on my way out, but looking forward to this thread! smile

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:44:06

@HumphreyCobblers I loved Doctor Sleep. I was about apprehensive it would be a letdown due to my EXTREME devotion to The Shining, but it definitely delivered. Rose the Hat = villain extraordinaire. I enjoyed the audiobook too, the narrator was pretty good. My Audible library is huge as I listen all day while I’m crafting. 😍

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 21:06:20

What are your thoughts on the new It film? Personally I loved it. I also loved the mini series. And the book is an all-time favourite. Pennywise was creepy in the new one in a whole new way, and I thought the child actors were amazing. ❤️🤡🎈

HumphreyCobblers Wed 15-Nov-17 21:56:31

<waves at Remus who got me reading The Dark Tower>

I haven't seen the new It, although everyone says it was good. I read and read It, I practically know it off by heart. The Dead Zone is also a favourite.

I too dislike Needful Things and Revival. Under the Dome kept me going but I have not read it since, which is unusual for me. I really didn't like 11.22.63, although I know that other people tend to love this one.

Looking at the list, there are lots I have not read yet.

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 22:24:21

@HumphreyCobblers I was a big fan of 11.22.63 and I liked James Franco in the adaptation, but I know there’s a lot of different opinions on this one. Needful Things is a total guilty pleasure! 🙈🤭

venellopevonschweetz Wed 15-Nov-17 22:49:07

Been a constant reader since I was around 14 grin

I don’t have a tattoo.... yet..... but one is currently in the planning stages with an artist shock

I loved the trilogy you’re reading now, Under the Dome and the Dark Tower series are among my favourites.

Just re-read Gerald’s Game before watching the movie, was a bit meh.

venellopevonschweetz Wed 15-Nov-17 22:50:17

Loved it, but I think they should have made it more scarefest less twee and rated it an 18

venellopevonschweetz Wed 15-Nov-17 22:50:33

Sorry meant the new IT!!

Willow2017 Wed 15-Nov-17 23:09:38

Anothet one here since about 13 although not read as much lately.
Read 'Joyland' on holiday and enjoyed it.
Currently reading book 2 of the 'dark tower' set. They have been on my bookshelf for years! Really enjoying it.
I liked 'revival' right up to the end bit of a let down.

modifiedmummy13 Thu 16-Nov-17 08:42:24

My dad loves Stephen King too, so his books were always in the house (I remember reading Misery and doing an essay on it in first year at high school so must have been about 12). I got The Shining off my parents for Christmas at 13 and literally read it all day, including at the table during Christmas dinner! 🙈

lessthanBeau Thu 16-Nov-17 16:04:27

willow took me years to get around to the dark tower books. But loved it once I finally did.
I really liked needful things, always go back to the old ones though, carrie, Christine (I know! even sk thought that one was crap but hey) cujo etc...
Rose madder is a big favourite of mine. Best ever imo is pet semetary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now