Talk

Advanced search

Books set in the Lake District

(20 Posts)
LifeOfBriony Mon 13-Nov-17 20:59:15

I'm going away for a long weekend in the Lake District at the end of the month, and would like to read something set in that area during the week before I go and while I am there. Any recommendations? Nothing too long, or too heavy going - I have read the Herries books but need something shorter and more contemporary at the moment.

Thanks!

Pancakeflipper Mon 13-Nov-17 21:02:27

James Rebanks book is surprisingly wonderful

HarrietVane99 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:05:59

Swallows and Amazons and its sequels. Essential reading for Lake District holidays. Not short, but not heavy going either.

outabout Mon 13-Nov-17 21:06:10

Unless I am mistaken, (pretty likely) Swallows and Amazons?

outabout Mon 13-Nov-17 21:08:14

Harriet beat me to it!
How about some of Wainrights books. Although they are mostly travel guides I feel some may have a bit of narrative and are so well written you can imagine the walks.

LifeOfBriony Mon 13-Nov-17 21:09:28

I forgot Swallows and Amazons - I read them all as a young teen - enjoyed them though. (I've also read Beatrix Potter).

Will look up James Rebanks.

Northernmum100 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:11:54

Cockley Beck by John Pepper

MiddlingMum Mon 13-Nov-17 21:15:29

The book by James Rebanks is really, really good. It will change the way you think about the Lake District, but not in a bad way at all smile

LifeOfBriony Mon 13-Nov-17 21:25:05

I have one of the Wainwright books and will take it with me.

The James Rebanks book does look interesting - I will look into that. It might also make a good Christmas present for my brother.

Amazon came up with Martin Edwards's Lake District mysteries - has anyone here read any of those? I quite enjoy crime fiction.

NewYearNewNickname Tue 14-Nov-17 18:51:49

I recently read Exquisite by Sarah Stowell. It's not goung win any awards but if you're looking for something easy to read then may be worth a look. Described as a psychological thriller though I wouldn't say it was a thriller, definitely not scary. One of thw two main characters lives in the Lakes.

RMC123 Wed 15-Nov-17 22:06:05

Haweswater by Sarah Hall. About the valley they flooded to create a reservoir and its impact on the small community.

Clawdy Wed 15-Nov-17 22:10:12

Rebecca Tope's Lake District mystery novels are a good read - try The Windermere Witness.

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Nov-17 22:12:29

Rebecca Tope.

LifeOfBriony Sat 18-Nov-17 08:38:13

Thanks for all the suggestions - some of these have very mixed reviews.

LifeOfBriony Sat 18-Nov-17 08:56:08

I have read Haweswater, and enjoyed it. I could imagine the setting and I liked the story set amongst real events.

TheMendedDrum Sat 18-Nov-17 10:13:39

If you like a clever, not gory, thriller then I recommend this - partially set in the Lake District www.goodreads.com/book/show/8162346-the-woodcutter

heron98 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:23:46

I also enjoyed Haweswater. Also a Shepherd's Life, but that's non fiction and not strictly the Lake District

tripfiction Thu 23-Nov-17 18:19:07

I have been collating books set in the area and have reviewed some - do you want to take a look? www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/?location=The+Lake+District&btitle=&bauthor=&genre=Genre...
Hope you find something you like!

OCSockOrphanage Fri 24-Nov-17 20:54:16

A Shepherd's Life is a wonderful read. Please, don't miss out.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 24-Nov-17 20:57:33

Poor Melvyn Bragg - he'd love someone to recommend his! Never seen it happen, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now