Talk

Advanced search

Audible recommendations

(14 Posts)
StaySexyDontGetMurdered Sat 11-Nov-17 17:31:29

Has anyone had a book they loved off there?
I love thrillers mostly but am open to suggestions. Hate predictable endings.

Minibeef Sat 11-Nov-17 17:34:14

I really enjoyed The Prestige on audio book. Would not have predicted its ending!

tobee Sat 11-Nov-17 19:10:48

Just finished listening to Lies by TM Logan which, I think, was a £1.99 daily deal. I didn’t have particularly high expectations but really enjoyed it. It was very well read which makes a huge difference. I also heard Robert Bryndza’s Girl in the Ice while driving a long way, alone and late at night which really passed the time. The ending was less good but I’ll probably listen to the next in the series. Nicola Upson’s Joséphine Tey series book 1 An Expert in Murder set in west end theatre in 1930s was also good, especially at the start.

I’ve also listened to a couple of Peter Swanson thrillers, as recommended by someone on here. They’ve been enjoyable too.

N0tfinished Sat 11-Nov-17 19:16:28

I loved The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison

At the moment I’m on Fellside by M R Carey. Same one who wrote Girl with all the Gifts (which I read rather than listened to). The narrator is especially good - Finty Williams

I’m really enjoying it, very close to the end but I’m trapped inside with the kids so I can’t listen to it. Torture

MsAwesomeDragon Sat 11-Nov-17 19:24:14

I really liked Good me Bad me by Ali Land.

And I enjoyed Blood Sisters by Jane Corry.

I'm not sure either of them would be classed as thrillers, but they both had a bit of a twist at the end.

Sriracha Sat 11-Nov-17 19:35:23

I really loved The Night Visitor by Lucy Atkins. It’s narrated by two different women and they’re both marvellous. It’s a slow-burning thriller and I honestly can’t recommend it enough.

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Nov-17 19:39:46

Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry (all of them!)

neverumind Sat 11-Nov-17 21:58:05

Munich new one by Robert Harris absolutely blew my socks off. It chronicles a couple of days of the pre WW2 Munich agreement from point of view of 2 old friends, 1 English and 1 German both working for their respective governments. Titbits include little insights into the private lives of Hitler & Chamberlain were fascinating and frightening, a must listen

confusedandemployed Mon 13-Nov-17 11:58:20

Some brilliantly narrated series I've enjoyed:
Simon Serrailler
Ruth Galloway
DCI Tom Douglas
Am just starting the Inspector Banks series and enjoying tose too.
Also the series that started with The Blackhouse was great.
The Department Q series

ScribblyGum Mon 13-Nov-17 18:34:33

Two stand out audible listens for me this year have been North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (narrated by the utterly sublime Juliet Stevenson) and Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.

I also really enjoyed Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, it's worth the listen just for all the gorgeous Icelandic names and words.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 13-Nov-17 22:28:47

I was just coming into say Burial Rites. Morven Christie reads very well and I love the Icelandic names.

Other things I’ve really enjoyed recently:

The Book of Memory - Pattina Gappah? Can’t quite remember her name.

Augustown - Kei Miller

StaySexyDontGetMurdered Wed 15-Nov-17 14:36:00

Thanks everyone. I went for Good me, bad me.
Very good so far!

modifiedmummy13 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:03:17

Currently collecting the Terry Pratchett Discworld series on Audible... lots of fun!

cariadlet Tue 21-Nov-17 21:25:14

My audible library is mostly a mixture of classics (especially if narrated by Martin Jarvis or Juliet Stevenson), Terry Pratchett (I look out for the ones narrated by Stephen Briggs) and BBC comedies.

If you enjoy thrillers I'd recommend Black Widow by Chris Brookmyre. I loved the story (plenty of twists and turns, I kept changing my mind about the central character) and read by 2 really good narrators.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: