Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for not too gory crime authors?

(28 Posts)
YouCantCallMeBetty Sat 21-Oct-17 17:14:56

Please can anyone help me find some new authors to read? I love crime/detective fiction series but have lost my stomach for anything too gory and am a bit fussy!

I have read & enjoyed everything by:
Elly Griffiths
Ann Cleeves
Damien Boyd (just finished, v good!)
Ian Rankin

Read all the Agathas years ago in my teens.
Have tried Reginald Hill but struggle a bit with old fashioned attitudes. Don’t like Peter James as think he’s a bit sexist in his writing. Don’t mind Peter Robinson but haven’t been gripped. Have read some stuff by American authors like Mary Higgins Clark and Linda Fairstein.

I’d like to read Val McDermid but hear her books are quite gruesome...

loveka Sat 21-Oct-17 17:17:13

Have you read Ruth Rendell? She was the absolute best.

LecturingLife Sat 21-Oct-17 17:17:33

I just read a good new series, forget the authors name but first book is Holy Island. All set in Northumbria.

Saucery Sat 21-Oct-17 17:20:39

Stephen Booth, crime series set in Derbyshire.

JD Robb - American writer, sets her stories in the mid-21st century, in New York. They are good thrilling detective stories, with excellently written characters. Plus, if you enjoy them, she has written lots!

Have you tried any of the Lord Peter Wimsey novels, by Dorothy L Sayers? Set post WW2, if I recall correctly, not gory, but very clever detective stories.

YouCantCallMeBetty Sat 21-Oct-17 17:25:06

Ah thanks loveka Ruth Rendell has been on my list for ages but always forget about her. Will look & see if any deals on kindle...

Will check out the other two as well, thank yousmile

Firstaidnovice Sat 21-Oct-17 17:28:37

I think earlier Peter Robinson is definitely better. Agree on Peter James, I can feel midlife crisis oozing off the pages. One of my absolute favourites is Michael Connelly (American, set in LA). Also like Mark Billingham

dramallamakarma Sat 21-Oct-17 17:29:00

Nicci French, the books are written by a couple so you get both sides of the story.

MrsMooks Sat 21-Oct-17 17:29:49

P.D.James. Listening to her on audible at the moment. Set in the 80's but very enjoyable and not gory.

underkerstumbled Sat 21-Oct-17 17:30:02

Dick Francis.

SecretMcSquirrel Sat 21-Oct-17 17:36:46

I love crime fiction but can't cope with graphic gore. Adrian McKinty is my absolute favourite. The Sean Duffy series set in NI during the 80s. Great characters, plots, plenty of humour in an unusual historic setting.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 17:38:58

I've just recommended Gillian McAllister's Anything You Do Say on another thread.

I met Louise Penny recently - she's a big Canadian writer. Her books might be what you're after.

YouCantCallMeBetty Sat 21-Oct-17 18:01:02

Fantastic, thanks everyone, lots of authors I haven’t heard of before. Lots to keep me going through sleepless nights with newborn DD smile

Tiddlywinks63 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:12:43

James Oswold's DI McLean series are good; the first in the series is 'Natural Causes'.
Elizabeth George is another good author, there's the Inspector Linley series and Phil Rickman's another to try.

AuntyElle Sat 21-Oct-17 18:17:30

Sara Paretsky's VI Warshawski series. Excellent and feisty. Definitely start at the beginning as they follow her career over time.

Toomanycats99 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:18:34

The alphabet series a is for alibi etc. Complete blank who wrote them though.

samlovesdilys Sat 21-Oct-17 18:18:37

JD Robb is pen-name for Nora Roberts...who also writes crime/romances. How about Lee Child?? Reacher series is fab!

FrancisCrawford Sat 21-Oct-17 18:21:55

Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series
Earlene Fowler’s Benny Barper mysteries
Katherine Hall Page’s Body in The... series

All US authors.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 18:22:04

Harlan Coben books are great.

Legrandboucle Sat 21-Oct-17 18:22:26

I've just got in to the books by the Norwegian author Jo Nesbo. They aren't gory but follow the typical alcoholic/renegade detective theme.

hippy1952 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:24:54

What about M.C.Beaton? She writes the Agatha Raisin books and the Hamish McBeth books. Easy to read and nice and gentle.

cdtaylornats Sat 21-Oct-17 21:50:58

Quintin Jardine - the Bob Skinner books are excellent
G.K. Chesterton - the Father Brown books
Reginald Hill - Dalziel and Pascoe series
Edward Marston - Railway Detective

efeslight Sat 21-Oct-17 22:43:51

I used to read a lot of Ngaio Marsh, a new zealand writer from the 50s I think. Gone off them now, but might be worth trying.

Has anyone else heard of Dorothy Simpson, an english writer from the 80s I think. Cosy crime I think you would call it.

clogher Sat 21-Oct-17 22:45:42

Elizabeth George is very good - am also big Ian Rankin fan

AuntyElle Sun 22-Oct-17 00:08:33

Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series, starting with Case Histories. Brilliant. (Think there's one scene with a lot of blood but not remotely gratuitous.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now