Talk

Advanced search

Audio books - BorrowBox

(11 Posts)
rosybell Wed 18-Oct-17 22:23:42

I can't really afford audible at the moment but have recently discovered you can listen to audiobooks for free via the library on the BorrowBox app. Happy Days!

Obviously there isn't the wide range of titles that audible has but I'm sure there are a few gems. Any recommendations from anyone?

I'm currently really enjoying listening to Ruth Fitzmaurice 'I Found My Tribe'

Cherrypi Thu 19-Oct-17 12:07:11

I love BorrowBox. I recently had out Lunch which was on radio 4 as serial. It's a comedy about two old uni mates meeting up for monthly lunches. I also love Penelope Keith as Agatha Raisin.

Fleurygirl Fri 20-Oct-17 21:47:08

Rosybell - I absolutely loved "I Found My Tribe", and I missed Ruth and her lovely family after I finished it. You should read her husband's book, which was published a few years ago - "Its not Yet Dark", its also a beautiful book, dealing with his life before and since his diagnosis of Motor Neuron Disease, and its also a tribute/love story about his love for his wife Ruth, just gorgeous.

If you like Irish books - I heartily recommend Lisa McInerney's "The Glorious Heresies", narrated by Shelley Atkinson - available on BorrowBox. I loved it so very much, that I bought her second book, The Blood Miracles, on Audible (as it wasn't available on BorrowBox). They are superb books, extremely well narrated, I was speaking with a Cork accent for days (I'm not from Cork!).

Other treats from Borrowbox, were Jodi Picoult's Small Great Things ,Hannah Kents books, Burial Rites and The Good People, Clare Donoghue Detective Series, and Patrick Gale's Notes from an Exhibition was excellent. I also listened to most of Particia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books.

I'd love to hear other suggestions too - I listen constantly, when cooking, cleaning, running , trying to ignore children etc!

rosybell Sat 21-Oct-17 15:47:24

I thought Ruth was such an amazing woman- I wanted her to be my friend. I was kind of in awe of the way she just took her kids off camping to France/wild swimming etc . I had no idea her husband had also written a book. I will look it up now - thank you.

Thanks for the other recommendations too, hoping I can find something as captivating as I Found My Tribe.

DesdemonasHandkerchief Sun 22-Oct-17 14:45:56

Rosy thanks for the heads up about Borrow Box, I’m put off Audible books because of the high cost, that app will be invaluable smile

gabsdot Mon 23-Oct-17 19:53:23

I've listened to all the Ruth rental inspector Wexford books and the Lianne Moriarty.
I think I'll try Patricia Cornwell.

rosybell Wed 01-Nov-17 14:49:23

Currently really enjoying 'Leave me' by Gayle Foreman on BorrowBox.

Almost finished so any other recs gratefully received!

HopeClearwater Sat 04-Nov-17 12:01:55

The only way to sensibly afford Audible is through their monthly subscription - one book a month at £7.99 is really not at all bad if you compare it to the cost of a paperback. Having said that, I've let my subs go for a bit because I'm a bit skint these days ...

MargotMoon Tue 07-Nov-17 15:00:17

Presumably only audiobooks bought by my local library will be on Borrow Box?? Or is that not how it works - do they essentially subscribe to a service which we can then access?

Does anyone know which e-readers can access Borrow Box? I use the BB app on my iPad, but it's too heavy and there's no backlight so no good in sunlight. I was going to get a Kindle Paperwhite but wondering whether to get a different e-reader and just access library books...Amazon is so expensive.

CousinChloe Sat 18-Nov-17 07:14:36

Margot - I think it's more a subscription service that the library subscribe to for us. There's certainly more choice than at my local library.

No help on the e readers from me I'm afraid, I hade it on my phone. It's only audio at the moment though, no email books to read, so not sure you need it on ereader? (unless my library has only subscribed to half of it or something?!)

Fleurygirl Sat 18-Nov-17 07:28:14

Margot - you could be right about each library having a different selection of titles available through Borrow box, I'm not sure about that. However, and more importantly for you, Kindle is not compatible with Borrow box, sadly. I can't download any ebooks to read on my Kindle from Borrowbox

So I only download audio books to my phone, and I find the selection from my library (Ireland) is quite good....I've always something on the go and up to 4 more reserved, waiting for them to become available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now