Talk

Advanced search

Self help, counselling type book

(11 Posts)
Chickpearocker Mon 16-Oct-17 20:46:53

Any recommendations of books that have made a positive impact x

BrandNewHouse Mon 16-Oct-17 22:47:22

Seven Habits of highly effective People.

I would mix it in with Unconditional Parenting by Kohn, which might seem a bit odd, but if you could see yourself as a child that needed the unconditional and perhaps see how to give it now to yourself.

Anyway, that’s my two penneth

Chickpearocker Tue 17-Oct-17 21:37:21

Thank you I will definately give these a go, I found the work by Byron Katie helped me a bit some years ago but I feel I need something else at the moment x

stilllovingmysleep Wed 18-Oct-17 06:53:55

I would recommend 168 hours by Laura Vanderkam which is a great book on time management (and fun to read), as well as the books by Gretchen Rubin. They are both american authors, but not touchy feely, and actually full of practical helpful ideas to improve everyday life.

LoveLoveLovLoveMeDo Wed 18-Oct-17 06:57:13

Voice therapy and The fantasy bond (2 different books) by Robert Firestone.

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 07:00:20

The gifts if imperfection. Brene Brown

DeloresJaneUmbridge Wed 18-Oct-17 07:02:38

Echoing the Brene Brown one....excellent book.

Also reading (and following) a workbook about Intuitive Eating.

stilllovingmysleep Wed 18-Oct-17 07:12:21

Delores, I like some of the ideas (but not all) on the intuitive eating movement. Will look forward to hearing what you think about it. If you enjoy that kind of thing, Bee Wilson's books on eating in a more balanced way are really great eg 'this is not a diet book' which is inspiring.

Sherborne Wed 18-Oct-17 07:39:07

The Happiness Trap. (it's all about ACT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy). Very worthwhile reading.

Chickpearocker Fri 20-Oct-17 15:30:13

Thank you all so much I have downloaded samples on my kindle, just need to actually concentrate long enough to read a full book x

aweewhilelonger Thu 26-Oct-17 21:00:36

Feel the fear and do it anyway, Susan Jeffers. It was life changing for me.

Also agree with the rec of Unconditional Parenting. The scales fell from my eyes while reading that one, and it allowed me to be more forgiving of both myself and my parents.

And more recently, Better then Before by Gretchen Rubin. All about changing / adopting / dropping habits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now