Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a good holiday read, no chick flicks

(7 Posts)
willowthewasp Sat 14-Oct-17 18:01:44

Hi, I wonder if anyone can recommend a good holiday read. Something that is not too harrowing and no chick flicks! I recently enjoyed ‘the goldfinch’ and ‘before I go to sleep’

Any recommendations?

JackietheBackie Sat 14-Oct-17 18:07:42

Burial Rites. It is the fictionalised story of the last woman to be excecuted in Iceland. Or The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - anything by Margaret Atwood is usually a good bet. Nora Webster by Colm Toibin was also very good.

NapQueen Sat 14-Oct-17 18:08:50

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
The Cows by Dawn O Porter
The Hunger Games Trilogy

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 14-Oct-17 18:13:29

I loved The Goldfinch.
I recently read "Our Endless Numbered Days" by Clare Fuller which was good. I read "Exposure" by Helen Dunmore on holiday and that was exceptional. I was initially put off because it was about spies but actually it was far more about a husband and wife and their relationship. Helen Dunmore always writes well and this was one of her best I think.

I'm currently half way through "The Essex Serpent" which I'm enjoying.

AlbusPercival Sat 14-Oct-17 18:28:39

The Essex serpent

Storminateacup74 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:59:47

The past by Tessa Hadley is a good holiday read. My 2 favourite reads in a long-time though have been The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and the companion Book The love story of Miss Quennie Hennessey. Such well written unique books.

Thirtyrock39 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:17:16

I've just read a book called 'lie to me' by Sabine Durrant- highly recommend it and it has lots of bits in Greece

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now