Talk

Advanced search

How many people are in your book club?

(12 Posts)
FortunatelyUnfortunately Tue 10-Oct-17 09:40:09

Hi there,

Thinking of setting up a book club and was wondering what the optimum number for the group size is? I don't want it so small that we don't get a range of opinions, and I also don't want it so big that we can't all fit in each other's houses and so that everyone gets to recommend a book fairly regularly. If it is too big and we all take it in turn to recommend a book you may not get to read your own choice of book for a long time.

mineallmine Tue 10-Oct-17 09:42:41

There are 10 people in ours and it's held once a month in each other's houses. We don't meet in July or August because it's too hard to get a date to suit everyone.

Optimist1 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:45:27

There are about 20 in ours, but monthly attendance is 8-10. We meet in a private room in a pub, though, which lends itself to the feeling that you don't always have to attend.

7to25 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:46:04

There are 12 in ours. It is rare that everyone turns up. It is usually 8-10.

fatowl Tue 10-Oct-17 14:17:22

We have 10 and we each host one month a year (no meeting in August or Dec)
Usually get 8-9 at a meeting.

FortunatelyUnfortunately Tue 10-Oct-17 14:20:30

Cool, thanks. I think I'll start with 10 and take it from there.

Quite like the room in the pub option too.

rachrach2 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:26:50

10 in ours (and lots of people wanting to join). We meet every 6 weeks or so and host cooks and chooses books/prepares questions. Average attendance is 7ish.

AnneEtAramis Fri 13-Oct-17 18:31:39

About 8/9 in ours and usuay between 3-6 turn up. We were a community group and have been meeting in a local cafe for years and are very comfortable. We often discuss recruiting then do nothing about it.

Clawdy Sat 14-Oct-17 13:17:21

8 in ours. Any more would be difficult to seat comfortably in your average living room. Especially as most of us usually turn up.

froomeonthebroom Sat 14-Oct-17 13:20:20

There's about 20 in ours but there's never a time when everyone comes. We meet in the pub. Basically it's more about the pub than the books!

IsabellaMorgan Sat 14-Oct-17 17:32:58

There are 10 in ours. Big enough as it can be a challenge to fit any more in a living room. Each member chooses a book and we usually read that book at their house. We usually go for a drink in August ( no book) as many of us are away , and we have a meal together at Christmas. Other than that we meet 1x a month.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 14-Oct-17 17:38:23

Just 4 in ours and we meet monthly ish at each other's houses. Usually from 6 til midnight and it involves a lot of wine!

We used to be 6 which was better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now