Advanced search

How many people are in your book club?

(21 Posts)
FortunatelyUnfortunately Tue 10-Oct-17 09:40:09

Hi there,

Thinking of setting up a book club and was wondering what the optimum number for the group size is? I don't want it so small that we don't get a range of opinions, and I also don't want it so big that we can't all fit in each other's houses and so that everyone gets to recommend a book fairly regularly. If it is too big and we all take it in turn to recommend a book you may not get to read your own choice of book for a long time.

mineallmine Tue 10-Oct-17 09:42:41

There are 10 people in ours and it's held once a month in each other's houses. We don't meet in July or August because it's too hard to get a date to suit everyone.

Optimist1 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:45:27

There are about 20 in ours, but monthly attendance is 8-10. We meet in a private room in a pub, though, which lends itself to the feeling that you don't always have to attend.

7to25 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:46:04

There are 12 in ours. It is rare that everyone turns up. It is usually 8-10.

fatowl Tue 10-Oct-17 14:17:22

We have 10 and we each host one month a year (no meeting in August or Dec)
Usually get 8-9 at a meeting.

FortunatelyUnfortunately Tue 10-Oct-17 14:20:30

Cool, thanks. I think I'll start with 10 and take it from there.

Quite like the room in the pub option too.

rachrach2 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:26:50

10 in ours (and lots of people wanting to join). We meet every 6 weeks or so and host cooks and chooses books/prepares questions. Average attendance is 7ish.

AnneEtAramis Fri 13-Oct-17 18:31:39

About 8/9 in ours and usuay between 3-6 turn up. We were a community group and have been meeting in a local cafe for years and are very comfortable. We often discuss recruiting then do nothing about it.

Clawdy Sat 14-Oct-17 13:17:21

8 in ours. Any more would be difficult to seat comfortably in your average living room. Especially as most of us usually turn up.

froomeonthebroom Sat 14-Oct-17 13:20:20

There's about 20 in ours but there's never a time when everyone comes. We meet in the pub. Basically it's more about the pub than the books!

IsabellaMorgan Sat 14-Oct-17 17:32:58

There are 10 in ours. Big enough as it can be a challenge to fit any more in a living room. Each member chooses a book and we usually read that book at their house. We usually go for a drink in August ( no book) as many of us are away , and we have a meal together at Christmas. Other than that we meet 1x a month.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 14-Oct-17 17:38:23

Just 4 in ours and we meet monthly ish at each other's houses. Usually from 6 til midnight and it involves a lot of wine!

We used to be 6 which was better!

aweewhilelonger Thu 26-Oct-17 20:56:00

Mine has around 12 members, but only 8-10 make each meeting. We are a bunch of expats, so many members have moved on but they want to stay in the loop and come to meetings when they are passing through from shanghai / Calcutta / Singapore ;-) sounds very windswept and interesting but most of us regulars just stay in one place. I'm a very new member, most of the others have known each other for 15-20 years.

My sisters bc
has only 6 regular members, but usually 4-5 at each meeting. They used to be a lot more but they had a major schism last year and lost a lot of members. ''Twas very dramatic, she tells me ;-)

PARunnerGirl Fri 27-Oct-17 22:45:03

Yes, same here; 8-10 on a monthly basis. Probably around 20 in the group.

We accepted over 30 “applicants” at the start though! The first meeting was a bit of a riot grin In the end we just kind of broke into groups and chatted and we had a book prepared as a suggestion for that month. I would say it’s better to have much more than 10 at the start, because the numbers will inevitably dwindle. After that, 10 is a good number for discussions that flow easily and also for agreeing on a book.

PARunnerGirl Fri 27-Oct-17 22:45:38

Oh and we meet in a cafe. smile

OlafLovesAnna Fri 27-Oct-17 22:50:35

I so want to be in a book club but I can't find an evening one where I am. Is there some sort of book club hook up site?!

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Fri 27-Oct-17 22:51:45

7 in ours and it works very well

ChristinaParsons Fri 27-Oct-17 23:06:35

6. Books selected by alphabetical order of the names of the people in the group. Whoever choose the book hosts. Works well, we have been going for years. We also try and run a food theme based on the book choice. We meet on a Friday evening and all work full time

PARunnerGirl Sun 29-Oct-17 07:35:49

Olaf- check your local libraries. There is one at each of the 4 libraries near me and they are listed on their website. smile Hope you find one!

Hockneypool Sun 29-Oct-17 08:04:22

We are celebrating 10 years for our book group. We have 8 members and we meet in each other’s homes, about every 6 weeks or so. We take July off and meet again in late August.

Eight is a good number because we just about fit in a living room. Most of us turn up for each meeting - it’s very social (lots of wine) and we have good discussions.

Good luck - Hope you find one.

iseenodust Mon 30-Oct-17 17:11:57

Another group of 8 that meet every 6 weeks. Usually 6/7 attend. When it's your turn you choose the book, we meet at yours and you feed us ! That's evolved over 12 years. Easy food like in slow cooker so you are part of the group and not busy playing hostess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now