Talk

Advanced search

Comforting reads

(46 Posts)
VittysCardigan Fri 06-Oct-17 21:42:03

I used to be an avid reader and able to escape into books but really struggle lately. I am looking for suggestions of something to lose myself in. The last book that I really, really loved was Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine, the first book I've loved for a long time. I got fed up of crime novels that seemed to contain graphic violence just for the sake of it and although I enjoy Jill Mansell & Jenny Colgan I would like something more.

I used to enjoy sagas/series of books. Authors I have enjoyed are: Stephen King, Ken Follett, Marian Keyes, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett

Can anyone please suggest something with a good story with no gratuitous violence to keep me interested

flimflaminurjams Fri 06-Oct-17 22:09:53

The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared. Had me hooked.

the Number 1 ladies detective agency - set in Africa and is more about people than crime. There are follow ups too.

VittysCardigan Fri 06-Oct-17 22:12:12

Thank you, I think I have 100 year old man somewhere

LEMtheoriginal Fri 06-Oct-17 22:14:32

Yy To the 100 y old man - wonderful and quite surprising. Not at all twee as the title suggests.

I find myself I a similar place though so a bit of place marking x

I quite like Ann cleevrs . Despite being crime they examine human relationships and I find it comforting.

VittysCardigan Fri 06-Oct-17 22:21:44

I highly recommend Eleanor Oliphant, best thing I've read for years

TheBitterBoy Fri 06-Oct-17 22:23:33

The Keeper of Lost Things is lovely.

elkiedee Fri 06-Oct-17 22:29:57

I'm another one who finds some crime fiction comfort reading, but going back to older novels:

Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle

Stella Gibbons, Cold Comfort Farm and Nightingale Wood

Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet novels are a family saga written by a literary novelist. I think they're not cosy or anything but they are are really good reads with substance.

VittysCardigan Fri 06-Oct-17 22:48:38

I have read the first Cazalet book & think I've got the second knocking around somewhere

RMC123 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:27:44

Was just coming on to say The Cazalet Chronicles!
Also all the James Herriot

PersisFord Sun 08-Oct-17 09:31:35

I agree with everything elkie says!

Also Georgette Heyer

missnevermind Sun 08-Oct-17 12:15:17

I’ve read nearly every book mentioned here. Must try the 109 year old man one.
Total change of pace for me while recovering but I loved tha Agatha Raisin novels. Silly crimes lovely village life. Lots of fresh air.

LEMtheoriginal Sun 08-Oct-17 22:15:11

I liked the agatha raisin novels too although she started to irritate me.

I have lost my reading mojo

Clawdy Mon 09-Oct-17 22:51:36

The Shell Seekers. A bit old-fashioned now, but a lovely warm read.

PersisFord Tue 10-Oct-17 09:29:55

Oh yes!

Elizabeth peters for gentle crime too

U2HasTheEdge Tue 10-Oct-17 22:38:39

The Trouble With Goats and Sheep

Elanor and Park

Itsanicehotel Wed 25-Oct-17 18:30:51

The 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. I read all 10 back to back and found them so calming and ridiculous as well as funny, touching and sweet. A real feel good series. I didn’t enjoy The First Ladies Detective Club by the same writer but I loved this.

Snailo Wed 25-Oct-17 18:41:36

Itsanicehotel I was just coming on here to say Scotland Street! It's fab isn't it? It's so warm and well-written and easy to read - and although it's a light read I think AMS addresses - in an under the radar way - a lot of the annoyances/problems we have in modern society. I love those books (especially Bertie!).

Mishappening Wed 25-Oct-17 18:45:25

Confession here - not fashionable I know. I have had surgery on several occasions and the Miss Read books were balm to my spirit - old fashioned, pleasant, with a bit of a bite - not bland. But wholesome and very clued in to the human spirit.

doctorcuntybollocks Wed 25-Oct-17 19:06:30

A beautifully illustrated edition of The Wind in the Willows.

PesoisaTool Wed 25-Oct-17 19:12:38

Need inspiration too....

PersisFord Wed 25-Oct-17 20:08:10

I’ve just churned through 20 Agatha Raisins.....

tshirtsuntan Wed 25-Oct-17 20:13:02

The secret diary of Hendrik Groen is lovely, about an old Dutch man. I love the Ben Aaronavitch books, rivers of London series.

Jeffers3 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:20:03

A Man Called Ove - lovely story, very heart warming, subtle, made me smile and I couldn't put it down.

Wonder - it's teen fiction really but it's bloody brilliant, I laughed, I cried and I can't wait to see it in the cinema.

Interesting that there are recomendations for The Hundred Year Old Man, I so wanted to love it and there were bits I loved but I found it hard work, really in your face and a bit much.

PersisFord Wed 25-Oct-17 20:31:17

Yes I’ve just started the 100 year old man....it’s ok....

ChinkChink Wed 25-Oct-17 20:45:23

I love 'golden era' cosy detective novels - Agatha Christie of course but Georgette Heyer also wrote quite a few of these, also the Patricia Wentworth Miss Silver mysteries and her other non detective fiction.

Some of these are available to borrow free from openlibrary.org/

Open Library also has plenty of Enid Blytons to borrow if you feel like really going back to cosy reading times!

You can download a reader - I use BlueFire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now