Talk

Advanced search

Poetry anthology recommendations

(11 Posts)
PalacePalacePalace Wed 04-Oct-17 09:00:53

Could anyone recommend a poetry anthology? Its a gift for a friend who isn't very well and is going to be in and out of hospital for the next few months. Ideally I'm looking for something relatively uplifting rather than my usual preference for bleak and depressing. But I don't really know where to start... Any ideas?

Thiswayorthatway Wed 04-Oct-17 11:15:40

The Nation's Favourite Poems, topped by If by Rudyard Kipling? Or R4 did something where T S Eliot came top. Might be too popular if you already know your poetry.

Backingvocals Wed 04-Oct-17 12:59:52

So not "Poems to make grown women cry" then...

Daisy Goodwin did some nice small volumes of poetry for these situations. Called "101 poems for the seriously stressed" or "101 poems to get you through the day and night".

PalacePalacePalace Thu 05-Oct-17 16:36:33

Grrr I did post a reply earlier but it didn't work.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did think about Nations Favourite Poems but my friend is a former English teacher so she might have had enough of the classics wink

I can't find those Daisy Goodwin ones - I think they must be out of print. But sound like theyd fit the bill.

Weirdly I am tempted by the poems to make a grown woman cry. It might be a good way to release some pent up emotions.

Someone else suggested poetry pharmacy which I think has only recently been released. Some of the reviews make it sound a bit like a self help book which is putting me off. Had anyone heard of this one?

MeredithLogue Thu 05-Oct-17 16:39:21

Poetry please the seasons BBC radio 4

Maudlinmaud Thu 05-Oct-17 16:42:11

Poem for day one or day two. But as a former teacher she might have these already. Brillant all the same.

velocitygir1 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:43:17

Staying alive is a great poetry anthology.

Ontopofthesunset Thu 05-Oct-17 16:43:27

The Bloodaxe anthologies edited by Neil Astley, Being Alive, Staying Alive and Being Human, are all good.

velocitygir1 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:44:32

Forgot photo

Maudlinmaud Thu 05-Oct-17 16:46:07

Velocity I've heard good things about that. Just about to pop it in my basket. Thanks grin

PalacePalacePalace Thu 05-Oct-17 20:53:43

I reckon being human is the one!

I was looking for something like staying alive but sadly it's unlikely that the next bout of treatment is about maintaining and not curing so it might be a bit insensitive, given the title.

Genuine thanks for all your help and recommendations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now