We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be surprised that Katy Carr (well, Worthington I suppose) never had children?

(7 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sat 16-Sep-17 21:49:13

I suppose Ned kept disappearing off, but still... She'd been married for about eight years by the end of In the High Valley and Clover and Elsie both had children. They keep saying how much she loves children so I'm surprised she didn't have any, or wasn't unhappy because of it.

Actually there are far fewer children than I'd expect - Rose Red only had the one, so did Mrs Ashe and Clover and Elsie do too (although they might have more later). I'm just contrasting that to Anne of Green Gables who had about seven in eight years!

I'm having a re-read and really enjoying it smile

opheliacat Sat 16-Sep-17 21:50:27

Maybe she found sex difficult after her back injury!

IrenetheQuaint Sat 16-Sep-17 21:54:47

I don't think Susan Coolidge had children, did she? She apparently based Katy on herself, so she didn't want to give Katy children when she didn't have any herself. Like Jilly Cooper making Taggie unable to have children and decide to adopt, as she herself did.

opheliacat Sat 16-Sep-17 21:58:47

School of Pain poem does make me weep a little.

Jfw82 Sat 16-Sep-17 22:07:09

I always assumed it was because she couldn't or maybe his shore leave was just never long enough to make sure things happened...

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sat 16-Sep-17 22:13:00

Ah you're right Irene, and that makes sense. From a quick google she never married, so it's slightly different.

It just seemed odd that it just wasn't mentioned in any way (even a "due to her accident she couldn't" or "even though nothing had happened she hoped"). I don't really remember noticing before, but it stuck out on this read.

It would probably have been considered indelicate to mention it in a children's book though!

burnoutbabe Sun 08-Oct-17 13:27:15

I always thought it unusual (as an adult reading) as practically, you'd expect large families (and they came from a large one themselves)

Some mention of "not blessed yet" may have done (as really I don't think there was a concept of "don't want kids so won't have sex" in those days, they just would have remaining a maiden aunt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now