Advanced search

The Couple Next Door

(17 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Mon 11-Sep-17 23:53:28

Has anybody read it ?
If so , your thoughts please.

KeithLeMonde Tue 12-Sep-17 19:56:19

This is what I said about it on the 50 Books thread:

"This had a decent suspenseful set-up but then kind of meandered off and the ending was disappointing. Sad use of mental health issues as well sad Last point aside, it was a decent enough page turner, easy to read - poolside reading really."

What did you think of it?

KeithLeMonde Tue 12-Sep-17 19:57:20

That random "sad" at the end of the penultimate sentence was originally a sad face emoji.

Printing it as a word makes me sound like Donald Trump on Twitter.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 12-Sep-17 20:06:01

Keith spot on.
There was suspense and it was easy reading. The ending was meh.
It will make a good film.

GetHappy Wed 13-Sep-17 20:35:18

Could have been a really good book but needed a better ending and also noticed a few gaps like were DH parents ever informed

lemony7 Fri 15-Sep-17 20:40:39

This sucked. I gave up and read spoilers! Couldn't do with the "he said" all the bloody time. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO SAY IT!

rookiemere Fri 15-Sep-17 20:53:31

Try listening to it as an audible grin!

I got caught up in the plot but felt it could have been a little better edited and the audible voice was terribly irritating which didn't help.

Clawdy Fri 15-Sep-17 22:29:20

I thought it was dreadful. Ridiculous unbelievable storyline, it was really one of the worst thrillers I have ever read.

AgentProvocateur Fri 15-Sep-17 22:31:33

One of the worst books I've ever read. Poorly written, badly edited unbelievable tosh. Well, you did ask...wink

Owl1011 Fri 15-Sep-17 22:52:01

I actually couldn't put this book down but agree that the ending was weird and disappointing

Crispbutty Fri 15-Sep-17 22:56:51

Finished this last week. It was okay but not brilliant. Too far fetched.

uokhunni Thu 28-Sep-17 20:44:50

Another one of my holiday reads! Took a few hours- so many holes and predictable shite.

peoplearepeople Sat 30-Sep-17 12:55:59

I feel like I've read so many books like this over the past year. I read them in one or two sittings, and do actually enjoy them whilst reading. Once I finish them though, I'm nearly always disappointed in how they wrap the story up and kick myself for finding it such a page turner. These type of books seem to be a dime a dozen at the moment. I feel like so many authors are writing with a view to film rights being possibly picked up and it ruins the end of a story as they feel they have to go all out. smile

Has anyone read her other book called A stranger in the house? I've been pondering buying it as good do with something quick and easy to read, but don't want to feel frustrated again!

LadyDeadpool Sat 30-Sep-17 13:04:22

This book is an absolute disgrace and insulting to anyone with mental health problems. Just a horrible portrayal of PND and I really don't recommend reading it at all if you or anyone you love has suffered PND. The author should be ashamed of themselves.

gybegirl Sat 30-Sep-17 13:10:27

I think that was a bit rubbish to be honest. Sophie Hannah does this sort of thing so much better. A lot of these books feel like they are just going through the format they've been given on a creative writing course.

ChasingRainbows89 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:54:32

I read this book a few months ago. It's definitely very similar to books I've read in the past. I think the author was hoping it would be as successful as Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train however, I don't think it's in the same league. The ending was a bit flat.

ReadingIsFundamental Fri 06-Oct-17 22:01:06

I really didn't like it - each "big twist" was telegraphed at least 80 pages beforehand so the reader is just waiting for the twist they've predicted to finally appear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now