Talk

Advanced search

If dd loved Cold Comfort Farm...

(13 Posts)
noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 08-Sep-17 18:54:19

What else might she like? She's 14 and a voracious reader

EmilyAlice Fri 08-Sep-17 18:56:40

Nancy Mitford? The Pusuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate might work.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Fri 08-Sep-17 18:58:42

Definitely The Pursuit of Love.

I Capture the Castle?

Some PG Wodehouse, if it was the humour she liked?

noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 08-Sep-17 19:10:59

Thanks - I'd forgotten about Nancy Mitford - I loved those when I was her age. Yes it was the humour she liked but I think she was also rather taken with Flora Poste's character

HerSymphonyAndSong Fri 08-Sep-17 19:17:29

Molly Keane?
Dorothy L Sayers?

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 08-Sep-17 19:33:51

Yy to Mitford, I Capture the Castle and Sayers (of course grin).

I think Georgette Heyer is very funny, if she doesn't object to romance (maybe start with The a Grand Sophy if she liked Cold Comfort Farm). Three Men in a Boat, Wodehouse and Bill Bryson are funny.

Austen, if she hasn't read any.

Peggysue14 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:32:32

Have a look at Sisters by a River by Barbara Comyns and Angel by Elizabeth Taylor.

MaybeDoctor Fri 15-Sep-17 19:47:26

The Diary of a Provincial Lady
E.M Delafield

Wonderful.

UrsulaPandress Fri 15-Sep-17 19:48:18

Came on to say I Capture the Castle.

Taytotots Fri 29-Sep-17 06:20:36

Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society? Also agree with Mitford (maybe 'love in a cold climate', Wodehouse and I capture suggestions above.

HoneyWheeler Fri 29-Sep-17 06:33:56

This is like my favourite thread ever! Yes definitely Mitford, and maybe even Evelyn Waugh? He's very funny too. There is a sequel to Cold Comfort Farm too I believe, published much later. Conference at Cold Comfort Farm, or something like that?

BarchesterFlowers Fri 29-Sep-17 06:41:05

Love on a branch line here.

elkiedee Fri 06-Oct-17 22:40:49

When I first read Cold Comfort Farm, probably in my teens, I had no idea that Stella Gibbons had written lots of other novels. Rather than Conference at Cold Comfort Farm (which I found in the library one day in an old edition, then acquired the 21st century paperback reprint (Vintage I think), I suggest her book Nightingale Wood, published by Virago Modern Classics.

All the suggestions above - I also just suggested I Capture the Castle on another thread.

Jane Gardam - her early books were originally published as children's/YA and since in covers which match her other novels sold for adults. A Long Way From Verona and Bilgewater.

Nancy Mitford's younger sister Jessica wrote two memoirs, and I recommend the first, Hons and Rebels, a slightly different but also witty perspective on their childhood in a completely crazy aristocratic family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now