Talk

Advanced search

Find this book from a vague description

(19 Posts)
Mistoffelees Sat 02-Sep-17 23:33:34

I'm trying to remember a book I read a couple of years ago and I am very sketchy on the details.
I remember that it was set in winter and one of the main characters was a bloke who lived in some woods, he possibly had his daughter with him but seem to remember he was mourning someone (possibly his wife/daughter). At the beginning of the book he drives his truck into the local town to get supplies and talks to someone about not being able to make the drive soon because of the snow. Sometime later in the book there's a woman who is possibly pregnant and she's wearing a pink jumper at some point. I think her partner ends up being at a motel nearby but is possibly abusive?!
Does anyone know the title of the book (or books if I've got two confused!)

blue25 Sat 02-Sep-17 23:40:56

Some of that sounds like The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Mistoffelees Sat 02-Sep-17 23:43:33

It definitely wasn't that, I've read that one and this one was set in more modern times, I think maybe 80s at earliest.

Mistoffelees Sat 02-Sep-17 23:43:47

Thank you though!

It's not 'Our Endless Numbered Days' is it? The motel/abusive bit doesn't fit, but a lot of the other stuff does.

Probably too modern though.

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 03-Sep-17 10:55:32

It's "Light on Snow" by Anita Shreve.

MrsFezziwig Sun 03-Sep-17 10:55:57

It sounds familiar - is it a Jodie Picoult one?

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 03-Sep-17 10:56:44

It involves an abandoned baby; she's found by a father and daughter (who are mourning their wife/mother and daughter/sister). The parents of the baby are teenagers/students and the father is scared and panics.

PuppyMonkey Sun 03-Sep-17 10:58:00

Which bit of that sounds like Thw Snow Child? confused

I also think it sounds something like Our Endless Numbered Days.

OuchLegoHurts Sun 03-Sep-17 10:58:51

Julius Winsome?

Mistoffelees Sun 03-Sep-17 11:02:53

It's not Our Endless Numbered Days, I've just started reading that and it's what reminded me of the one I'm in about, will check Light On Snow now

Mistoffelees Sun 03-Sep-17 11:04:43

Yep that's it Beware; thank you!

PuppyMonkey Sun 03-Sep-17 11:24:54

Yay, glad the mystery is solved. Loved Our Endless Numbered Days btw.

helpmenotfuckthis Sun 03-Sep-17 11:37:28

Doppler - Erland loe?

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 03-Sep-17 11:46:49

Yay, I never normally get these and end up scratching my head for hours! Glad I could help.

Whimsicaltina Mon 06-Nov-17 04:58:44

Not sure if I post this here...

I remember there was a book I read a long time ago and all I can seem to remember is there was a guy, and he was evil. And he wanted to date this girl, so they did. And he took her to a fair/carnival, and while she’s on top of the Ferris wheel, he sabotaged it to kill her. It was basically his goal the entire book to kill her.

CoolCarrie Thu 09-Nov-17 15:07:57

Could it be something by Patrica Highsmith at all, Whimsicaltina?

bellablayney Tue 06-Mar-18 18:04:33

i read this book a long time ago and i cannot remember the title or the author. it was more of a teen romance. the two main characters were an unpopular boy and a popular girl. they were working at a hotel over the summer break and he started to have feelings for her. there was something about a frog pond by the hotel they worked at too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: