Talk

Advanced search

Hagseed. Does it get better?

(8 Posts)
TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Wed 30-Aug-17 09:55:06

I'm finding it really boring and l'm 1/2 way through. Don't know if l can even be bothered to read the rest.

Does it improve?

Seachangeshell Wed 30-Aug-17 20:54:28

For Atwood, I'd say it's nowhere near her best.
I found it readable, but forgettable. God, I feel awful saying that. She's one of my favourite authors.
I absolutely love love love The Tempest too, so maybe that didn't help.

Hallamoo Thu 31-Aug-17 21:20:59

Loved Hagseed, read it in two days. I guess it depends what appeals to you.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Thu 31-Aug-17 21:58:16

I've given it up☹️. I hardly ever give books up but it was boring.

carbuncleonapigsposterior Mon 11-Sep-17 17:51:29

The Margaret Atwood books I have read so far have been some of the best I have ever read, so expected great things from Hag Seed, found it disappointing and quite dull. I sympathise with your point of view op, I felt the same about this book and kind of speed read the second half, but should have abandoned it, didn't because I'm trying to get through the "50 book challenge"

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 11-Sep-17 18:23:21

I love The Tempest, loved the idea of Hagseed, love Margaret Atwood and so wanted to love the book itself.

I didn't.

StevesFlappyCap Sat 16-Sep-17 10:20:32

This thread is good timing, also a Tempest fan.

I have Hagseed on my kindle but was umming and ahhing about it. Loved Cat's Eye, HandMaids's Tale, the Penelopiad, Alias Grace but not so much The Robber Bride or Oryx & Crake trilogy.

Might give it a go as I have it and hope it's not Tempest sacrilege 🙈.

elkiedee Fri 27-Oct-17 22:37:54

It's not sacrilege to the play, I don't think. I thought it was one of the best books in the Hogarth Shakespeare series. Different from her other work, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now