Talk

Advanced search

Reading the book after seeing the film?

(11 Posts)
LaceandChintz Tue 08-Aug-17 20:07:09

Do you ever do this? I have never read a book having seen a film version first, but will happily watch, and generally dislike (grin) a film after I've read the book.

OP’s posts: |
Shadow666 Tue 08-Aug-17 20:09:47

I do both. I remember being worried the book Remains of the Day might be a slog but it was utterly compelling. Sometimes if a story in a film is interesting I'll read the book to get more background and understanding.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 08-Aug-17 20:11:39

I think I prefer reading after the film. Reading before I sit through going well, they changed that, that wasn't right, the actor isn't right for the part etc

annandale Tue 08-Aug-17 20:15:49

I've often enjoyed it but not always. I read Room with a view, Maurice and Howard End after the movies each time and thought the films were a lot better. The Raj Quartet was a different experience from The Jewel in the Crown, more limited somehow.

I've been put off trying watching the Red Riding series because the books are unreadable IMO.

sunflowerblue Sun 13-Aug-17 07:39:29

I've started reading Outlander after watching the series (I'm watching on channel 4 catch up, still on series 1 so no spoilers please! grin )

It's quite fun actually, feels 'easy'. It's a bit like chatting to a friend about something you watched and really enjoyed, and you get the feeling again, as I haven't finished watching yet (barely started tbh) so I'm reading with minimal hindsight.

HappydaysArehere Thu 17-Aug-17 12:38:11

I try never to watch the film until I have read the book. Usually the book is better and there is something off putting about reading after watching the film as there are few surprises.

mrskhw Thu 17-Aug-17 14:25:54

I can't read a book if I've watched the film first, the same applies to TV shows.

Like Happydays said above, I find it off putting and I can't fully get into it as I already know what happens mostly.

ApollO88 Thu 17-Aug-17 14:32:28

I watched outlander seasons 1 and 2 on prime. Couldn't wait for the next instalment and then found out that there 8 or so books! Have read them all and now waiting impatiently for the next series and next book!

ApollO88 Thu 17-Aug-17 14:33:11

Meant to add that I love reading a book after watching an on screen adaption as there are so many extra bits that get left behind

starkid Thu 17-Aug-17 15:09:57

I watched The Hunger Games when it came out at the cinema, and it was already on my to-read list, so read them after. Loved both.

Saw We Need To Talk About Kevin. Didn't mind the film, but couldn't finish the book!

FinallyHere Thu 17-Aug-17 15:53:14

Only for the Tolkein series, and Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones, have the 'pictures' version not been a complete disappointment to me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in