Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendation, please - but rather specific!

(23 Posts)
LucasNorthsTwiglets Thu 13-Jul-17 11:29:24

I want a book for my holiday but I'm very fussy smile

I want a real page-turner but nothing sad, no chick-lit and must be easy to read and not heavy-going. Kids probably won't let me read for more than 20 minutes at a time so I want something I can easily pick up again. I really enjoyed Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train recently and English Passengers was the perfect book many years ago!

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Wormulonian Thu 13-Jul-17 14:13:48

Gillian Flynn's other books are also good (Dark Places, Sharp Objects). Alex Marwood (Wicked Girls, The Darkest Secret) writes twisty books in a somewhat similar vein.

As you liked English Passengers I would also suggest The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert which I found easy going but interesting

LucasNorthsTwiglets Thu 13-Jul-17 20:13:50

Great, I'll check those out - thank you!

Matilda2013 Thu 13-Jul-17 20:17:45

I enjoyed The Girl Before by J P Delaney recently and read while off on holiday with six year old dsd. Other favourite this year is I Let You Go by Clare MacKintosh.

Matilda2013 Thu 13-Jul-17 20:18:36

Daisy in Chains by Sharon Bolton was a good one too.

SkivingAgain Thu 13-Jul-17 20:20:28

I loved Taking Albert Home by Homer Hickham. Very funny and surreal, but strangely based on a true story.

missyB1 Thu 13-Jul-17 20:27:26

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty, in fact any of her books.

TheweewitchRoz Thu 13-Jul-17 20:45:08

Agree re Liane Moriarty - her books pretty much fit your description perfectly.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Thu 13-Jul-17 23:49:44

Ooh now that's interesting - Liane Moriarty was a name that came up when I was browsing on amazon but I'd never heard of her before.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 15-Jul-17 19:57:39

Where'd You Go Bernadette

fufulina Sat 15-Jul-17 19:58:21

Shantaram

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Jul-17 20:03:07

Anything by Douglas Kennedy.
Gripping stories, always with a female protagonist, often set against a significant political/historical background. Ignore the ridiculous girly covers. I'd start with A Special Relationship or The Pursuit of Happiness. Titles are also a bit twee, ignore them too.

SanPel Tue 18-Jul-17 19:04:21

I definitely second Douglas Kennedy!

thatsnotwaynesbasement Wed 19-Jul-17 14:04:16

Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Novels are perfect holiday reads if you ask me.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 21-Jul-17 05:42:20

"Here Be Dragons" by Sharon Penman is good - it's historical, but a fictionalised account of true events iyswim, and is a great read but easy to dip in and out of too.

CheerfulYank Fri 21-Jul-17 05:46:43

I was also going to say Liane Moriarty...I loved Big Little Lies. Couldn't put it down!

Oblomov17 Sun 23-Jul-17 16:52:05

I too am looking for a holiday read. I need 3 really good books for my holiday.

I last read:

Sarah Waters : Paying guests.

khaled hosseini:
'A Thousand Splendid Suns', which I preferred to
'The Kite Runner'.

Let's talk about Kevin.

I thought all 4 were ok.

Any suggestions, please?

Extua Sun 23-Jul-17 17:06:58

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Really unusual. I read it twice which I rarely do.

I also love She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

SPARKS17 Sun 23-Jul-17 17:33:39

Agree with the recommendation for Big Little Lies but didn't enjoy her others as much as that one (it was the first Liane Moriarty I read and the best!).

On the same theme as gone girl and girl on a train I read both of Ruth Ware's books (UK writer) and really liked them, hers are In a Dark Dark Wood and The Woman in Cabin 10. Just finished The Couple Next Door which was great and Luckiest Girl Alive (although there is a very dark side to this book). Another UK writer I really enjoy along the same sort of theme is Lucie Whitehouse, The Bed I Made was a brilliant read.

gruuumbleweec Sun 23-Jul-17 18:57:44

Dorothy Koomson The girl from Nowhere and the Light Between the Oceans.

Clawdy Sun 23-Jul-17 20:22:37

Aren't We Sisters by Patricia Ferguson is brilliant.

Nannplum666 Sun 23-Jul-17 20:24:12

Just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - loved and not too heavy going although can be sad in places.

Sirrah Mon 24-Jul-17 19:23:22

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton is a good read, I often guess any twists way before the end but this one kept me guessing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in