Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions of new authors for DH who only reads Micheal Crighton books..

(10 Posts)
BellaItaliaMamma Mon 10-Jul-17 13:46:33

Hi all - off on holiday this week and need new reading material for DH, who only reads on holiday and for the last 10 years has been recycling a collection of Micheal Crightons. Who else might be like pls?

OP’s posts: |
Cheesymonster Mon 10-Jul-17 16:05:47

At the time I was devouring Michael Crichton books, I also enjoyed Robin Cook (US author, writes medical thrillers). Start with the older ones first.

Has he tried James Patterson?

GinAndGooseberry Mon 10-Jul-17 16:09:56

If I like Michael Crichton who else might I like

AaarghUsername Wed 19-Jul-17 23:43:43

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are pretty good "Crichton-alikes". They also write together under the name Lincoln Preston, which actually make for better books, imo.

iseenodust Thu 20-Jul-17 16:42:04

David Baldacci
Nelson DeMille
Sick Puppy by Hiassen - eco-warrior v Florida politics with hint of humour.

macnab Thu 20-Jul-17 20:22:29

What about "I am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes?

Or "The Martian" by Andy Weir?

Both good reads he might really enjoy

PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 21-Jul-17 05:40:14

The "Charlie Parker" series by John Connolly is fab - it's detective fiction, fiction noir, thriller and supernatural all rolled into one.
You can find out all about them here

BarbaraofSeville Thu 27-Jul-17 16:15:54

CJ Box? I've read a lot of these and DP loves them - the main character is a game warden called Joe Pickett, so it's about his work as that, with a bit of family stuff and hunting, shooting and fishing with his mates too. Usually on offer on Kindle, which is how we got them.

Lee Child?
John Grisham?
Stephen King?
Dean Koontz?
James Herbet?
Harlen Coben?

Advantage of the last few is that there's likely to be several easily available in every library or charity shop he looks in.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 27-Jul-17 16:21:18

My OH is obsessed with Lee child's books

OCSockOrphanage Mon 31-Jul-17 09:17:23

He might enjoy the middle period novels of Philip Kerr, not the ones featuring Bernie Gunther/Berlin. Gridiron is the one that comes back to me, but there were a couple of "techno-thrillers" he would find a change from Crichton. He was very good though, and much missed. Also agree with I am Pilgrim, mentioned above.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in