Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need something to lift my spirits

(10 Posts)
TheSeaPriestess Sun 04-Jun-17 21:42:08

I'm finding the unending doom and gloom of the world really tough going at the moment. While I enjoyed the last few books I have read (The Handmaid's Tale, The Power, The stone man) I desperately need something to make me feel happy and uplifted. I think taking a break from the dystopian for a bit is a good idea, but what to read? I have Audible as well so any audio books that make me laugh or feel good would be very much appreciated.

TheSeaPriestess Mon 05-Jun-17 08:26:31

Hopeful bump!

Tarahumara Mon 05-Jun-17 08:32:44

I've just finished Spectacles, Sue Perkins's autobiography, which put a smile on my face. How about Bill Bryson? I also find Anne Tyler very calming and enjoyable.

Seachangeshell Mon 05-Jun-17 17:36:50

I have just read a brilliant book by David Nichols called 'Us'. It's much better than 'one day ', which he also wrote. I absolutely loved it. Can't say that I've read a book that's made me laugh that much for a long time. Made me cry quite a bit too but in a good way - it's poignant.

TheSeaPriestess Mon 05-Jun-17 19:05:00

These look great thanks. Love Bill Bryson but not heard of the others. Going to take a trip to the library tomorrow (and possibly delete Facebook while I'm at it!)

CarrieBradshawsScrunchie Mon 05-Jun-17 20:32:55

Hi Priestess, I write funny (I hope!) books, one of which is on audible...if it's not too cheeky I could PM you?

buckeejit Mon 05-Jun-17 20:58:35

Ooh, I'm in the middle of 'us' on audible & it's good (buy 3 get £10 offer at the mo which is great for daily deal bargains)

IQ84 is big, not dystopian but fantasy. Lianne Moriarty-all Ive read on audible are great & HIGHLY rec Eleanor & Park, or the joy luck club or the kitchen gods wife. All good on audio & not depressing smile

29Palms Tue 06-Jun-17 00:26:32

Cold Comfort Farm

TheSeaPriestess Tue 06-Jun-17 08:25:18

Great I will put these on the list also. Yes please Carrie, if you can lift me up or make me laugh I will be very grateful!

CarrieBradshawsScrunchie Tue 06-Jun-17 11:37:53

I have PM'd you, Priestess...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now