Talk

Advanced search

Quick audible question

(21 Posts)
tobee Wed 24-May-17 14:21:04

If you had an audible book that you got half way through and thought you couldn't carry on with it would you return it? Or chalk it up to experience? And I mean halfway through.

AstrantiaMajor Wed 24-May-17 14:43:00

I would return it. They make it easy for you because that way you have confidence to keep buying. I do have some books that I have kept even though I have given up on them, but mostly I return.

tobee Wed 24-May-17 18:15:02

Thanks. I've been let down by the narrator again. I wish narrators wouldn't do an "ickle girl" voice for characters. Especially when they are meant to be sympathetic likeable adults. sad

AugustCarrot Wed 24-May-17 18:18:52

I'd return it too.

My philosophy is if the narrator lets it down so I can't listen or the story leaves me cold and I don't make it to the end I returns

SplitInfinitive Wed 24-May-17 20:04:38

I'd return it. I have returned books when I haven't been able to get on with the narration or there's been a priblem with the recording. I had one that kept skipping and missing bits out. Audible have a no quibble returns policy.

SplitInfinitive Wed 24-May-17 20:05:26

<problem> ...

AstrantiaMajor Wed 24-May-17 20:06:13

Yes narrators can drive me nuts. I prefer men narrators generally. Sometimes just listening to a clip is enough to tell you how awful they are, but not always. Attempting accents, unnaturally deepening a voice for a man and putting pauses in the middle of a sentance are biggest turn offs.

Anyone got any favourite narrators. Mine are Timothy West and Juliet Stevenson

tobee Wed 24-May-17 21:31:13

Thanks, everyone. Will do.

tobee Wed 24-May-17 21:32:32

Yy to those two. Also Peter Firth.

Sadik Thu 25-May-17 17:43:30

Agree - I'd return if it was because the narration wasn't up to scratch.

If it's just that I don't like the book as much as I thought I would & CBA to finish it then I wouldn't - I kind of figure that's my fault IYSWIM.

AstrantiaMajor Thu 25-May-17 18:48:42

I think one of the options is Did not like the book. Knowing I can return easily makes me buy more books.

tobee Fri 26-May-17 01:04:36

I think with narration some voices have got a better timbre than others and can effortlessly sound like different men, women or ages. Others it's like a caricature of these types.

Anyway, the book has been returned and I have a credit back. Thank you.smile

AstrantiaMajor Fri 26-May-17 07:55:40

I am Looking for a new book at the moment. Any recommendation? I don like horror or s I-fi, but listen to most other stuff.

SplitInfinitive Fri 26-May-17 09:29:38

I thought Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller was ver good. Am listening to The Muse by Jessie Burton atm and am loving that too.

SplitInfinitive Fri 26-May-17 09:30:06

Very ....

tobee Fri 26-May-17 16:57:52

Ah! It was Swimming Lessons I sent back shock

Sadik Fri 26-May-17 18:34:43

Do you like non-fiction Astrantia? I've liked:
The Dark Net by Jamie Bartlett (relatively short but fascinating)
What We Cannot Know by Marcus du Sautoy (read by the author, he has a wonderful reading voice)
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City (depressing but really interesting - the narrator has a lovely dark treacle American accent)

I'm currently listening to Adults In The Room - Yanis Varoufakis' political memoirs of his time as finance minister in Greece and his battles with the EU. I'm only about 3 chapters in but so far would highly recommend it (though again not really cheerful/uplifting!)

If you don't mind steampunk / alternate history then The Difference Engine by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling is wonderfully read on audio by Simon Vance - it's one of those notoriously unreadable classics, but he makes it absolutely gripping.

SplitInfinitive Fri 26-May-17 19:03:25

Oh ok smile We all have different tastes in narrators. I prefer male narrators and don't really get on with American narrators unless required for the story.

tobee Fri 26-May-17 19:08:57

Yes, of course. It's probably because I've listened to a succession of books where the female narrator is doing a young person girl voice so I've probably got less tolerant. Especially as I'm listening while doing a dull house clear out and need to want to go back to it. smile

katsnmouse Tue 30-May-17 11:24:04

I didn't even know you could return on audible 😳

tobee Tue 30-May-17 13:38:23

Yes, yes, yes you can return and, so far, hassle free. Bit like Books Etc used to guarantee a good read or your money back as far I can tell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now