Talk

Advanced search

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler - has anyone read it?

(12 Posts)
BoredByTheChore Wed 17-May-17 18:22:25

I've just finished this and was a bit disappointed by it at the end. I really want to discuss it with someone! I've read a fair bit of Anne Tyler but this wasn't really what I expected.

SplitInfinitive Wed 17-May-17 20:03:13

I read it a few weeks ago. It was her contribution to the retelling of Shakespeare project iirc, based on The Taming of the Shrew. I suppose she was constricted by the original story but yes I agree that, whilst I did enjoy it, it wasn't the best (although I haven't read that many of her books).

WantToBeABetterDIL Wed 17-May-17 20:06:19

I also read it and didn't like it - Atwood's Hagseed (The Tempest from the same retold series) was MUCH better.

SplitInfinitive Wed 17-May-17 20:34:18

I'd be interested in reading Hagseed <adds to tbr list> smile

tormentil Wed 17-May-17 20:41:34

I was given this on my birthday by my Mum. She's given me the latest Anne Tyler book for the past three years. One is unread, one is read- the Spool of Blue Thread, forgettable - and now this sits and looks at me. I loved her early stuff- ' Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant' - but would skip the most recent.
(My birthday books used to be Margaret Forster - always appreciated.)

BoredByTheChore Wed 17-May-17 20:47:57

Thanks for replying, I guess I was disappointed that she didn't adapt the ending more. I felt like a lot of the book was moving towards Kate finding her own independence and then in the end I'm not sure she really did. I didn't understand why she seemed to demonise Bunny at the end when she seemed to be the one character who stood up for Kate.
I suppose I expected Anne Tyler to do more with the story, she is usually so insightful into human behaviour that I wasn't sure what point, if any she was trying to make.

quizqueen Thu 18-May-17 16:11:25

I have enjoyed all of Anne Tyler's books.

drwitch Thu 18-May-17 16:20:47

I just liked it - I think the point is something like we can liberate ourselves if we try to understand others.
The one I really hated (and wished I hadn't read) was the Merchant of Venice one

Hagseed was brilliant wan't it

Notcontent Thu 18-May-17 22:58:47

I love Anne Tyler but I really wasn't impressed by this one.

littlerach Sat 20-May-17 21:05:19

I'm partway through and finding it almost too simply written, thus skimming it a bit.
Usually I find myself thinking about Tyler's characters a great deal, and spending time reading her novels.

WantToBeABetterDIL Mon 22-May-17 14:14:41

Oh no, was My Name is Shylock not good either, drwitch?! I was looking forward to that sad

hackmum Mon 22-May-17 20:02:20

I quite enjoyed it but agree that Hagseed is miles better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now