Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hundred year old man v's A man called ove??

(8 Posts)
tactum Tue 16-May-17 18:24:44

Read Ove last year and loved loved loved him to pieces.

I'm about 50 pages into the Hundred Year old man who fell out of the window and it seems a similar kind of book, but not as good. Am I right? Just plodding a bit and wondering if I'm going to be dissappointed.....

Can anyone help?!

KurriKurri Tue 16-May-17 21:11:44

I hated hundred year old man (Haven't read Ove) - but I read it for book club and half of us hated it the other half loved it - so it seems to be one of those divisive kind of books, I absolutely detested the main character, and thought the whole premise was stupid.

Hippychickster Tue 16-May-17 21:14:10

I've read both and I loved both. I read Ove on a night train in Vietnam last year - didn't go to sleep!

shatteredstudentmum Tue 16-May-17 21:15:43

I didn't like 100 year old man. Really struggled to finish it. Haven't read I've so can't compare.

SplitInfinitive Wed 17-May-17 05:55:29

I much preferred A Man Called Ove.

ChessieFL Wed 17-May-17 06:39:20

I loved Ove but ended up skim reading Hundred, just couldn't get into it.

DarkFloodRises Wed 17-May-17 06:54:57

I thought that A Man Called Ove was good but almost mawkish in places. The Hundred Year Old Man was just silly!

fatowl Wed 17-May-17 09:02:12

I've read them both and was a bit meh about Ove, but I think that it was hyped up as the most amazing book I would ever read, and while it was OK, it was forgettable IMO.
I did prefer the 100 Year Old man. I know it was far fetched, but as a read, I enjoyed it more.

Neither would make it into my top 10.
I have The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden on my to read pile, keep passing it in favour of others because didn't enjoy the 100 Year man that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now