Talk

Advanced search

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

(21 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Mon 15-May-17 14:55:47

I am so enjoying this book. I found it on iBooks for 99p. It had a good review and when I looked at Good Reads the reviews were full of five stars, then four stars and I saw just one three stars. It is unusual, page turning, charming and really humorous in some places. I am over half way and not wanting to get to the end. Anyone else reading/read it?

MadisonAvenue Mon 15-May-17 14:59:01

I'm reading it, I'm up to chapter 14. Really enjoying it!

Seeline Mon 15-May-17 15:00:49

I've just read it - got it cheap on Kindle. I thought it a really lovely, heartwarming read. Hoping the author writes some more.

HappydaysArehere Mon 15-May-17 15:30:00

Seeline she has another book coming out called A Beginners Guide To Drowning. However, the pre order copy isn't out until May of 2018! So I suppose she is still writing it. Have this image of her huddled over a computer desperate to meet deadlines and not disappoint her fan base. Pleased you both enjoyed it. Cannot believe all that enjoyment for. 99p.

Seeline Tue 16-May-17 08:13:24

Thanks Happy - I shall keep an eye open for it!

RightOnTheEdge Sat 20-May-17 22:12:03

I have read it and loved it!
If you are on Instagram the author's page is full of lost things she has seen while out and about. I love it. She replies to a lot of comments too.

Radishal Mon 29-May-17 12:03:31

Just finished this book. I loved it. Just wanted to say that.
I normally love thrillers and plot twists. This was a gentler version of that and none the worse for it. I loved all the characters and was egging them on as I read it. The story moved onto a style that an old cynic like me doesn't normally like. Loved it.

HappydaysArehere Wed 07-Jun-17 09:27:14

My husband is reading it now and he is totally absorbed. He says he is enjoying it.

oobidobidooooo Mon 12-Jun-17 20:21:01

Reading this currently and it's wonderful!

Has anyone got any recommendations for other books that are similar/ as good?

Missanneshirley Sat 17-Jun-17 23:22:53

This is 99p on kindle at the moment! Just bought it so I'm glad to read some good reviews

bigchris Tue 10-Oct-17 19:42:04

I'm half way through and really enjoying this

Touchacat Fri 13-Oct-17 15:34:26

Blimey, I’m half way through and can’t wait for it to end. So tempted to give up..... maybe I’ll stick with it given the comments here.

itstheyearzero Fri 13-Oct-17 20:00:32

I just read Lost for Words recommended to me by Amazon because I have already read Keeper. Thoroughly enjoyed both!

RMC123 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:51:16

I must be in the minority but I hated this book.
Did you finish it Touchacat

Itsanicehotel Wed 25-Oct-17 18:26:53

Just finished it and it was not what I expected. It started full of promise imo and then descended into cliche, ridiculous coincidence, one dimensional characters I didn’t care about and total chick lit. I was irritated by it but it was easy to read I admit. I’m not a highbrow reader by any means but was glad when it ended.

Bookreader2403 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:21:14

I have to say I’m not really enjoying it. I’m finding it too cliche for my tastes BUT I can see why people would like it as its a feel-good book. I’m about half-way through and I think I’m going to have to DNF it sad

OddMollie Tue 31-Oct-17 23:21:24

I wasn't a fan either. I just didn't see the point or buy into the premise at all - a website of lost things where someone would actually log on to claim a plastic hair clip dropped in a park 30 years ago or something? I got the feeling it was supposed to be a bit like Kate Atkinson, with that 'quirky' style, but it just didn't work for me.

singadream Tue 31-Oct-17 23:22:49

I liked the story but thought it was sooooo badly written. So many long words just for the sake of it. So many cliches.

Viviennemary Tue 31-Oct-17 23:26:40

I was disappointed after reading all the rave reviews on amazon. It wasn't terrible but a bit twee and fake. I thought it was just me. Couldn't be bothered reading it all. I quite like Kate Atkinson. This book was nowhere near as good.

AugustRose Tue 31-Oct-17 23:30:24

It's not normally the kind of book I read but picked it from the Quick Choice section at the library. It is a bit twee and predictable but I thought it was a nice story, I think I just needed a change from all the misery you read about every day.

Plus I also think about things that get left behind and who they belong to so there's that.

Mrsfloss Fri 24-Nov-17 22:12:14

I have just finished this as my avid reader friend said it was the best book that she had ever read. I thought it was ok. The ghost and mystic bit spoiled it.

I had such high hopes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: