Talk

Advanced search

This one is a bit different..... Anyone read a good fiction about pirates?!

(8 Posts)
InsaneDame Sat 13-May-17 19:40:46

I'm just about to finish a non-fiction on the golden age of pirates. It's very interesting but not a lot to get your teeth into really - doesn't go into a lot of detail on particular situations and no first hand accounts of the goings on either. So, I thought it would be nice to read a made up story about pirates instead!

walruswhiskers Sat 13-May-17 19:56:53

Daphne du Maurier - Frenchman's Creek is a swashbuckler. Good fun.

Treasure island??

InsaneDame Sat 13-May-17 20:04:40

I studied treasure island for my English degree - I didn't enjoy it at all, probably because I was studying it rather than reading for enjoyment!

SplitInfinitive Sat 13-May-17 20:35:36

Was just going to suggest Frenchman's Creek smile

Jamaica Inn has lots of smuggling and general skullduggery too.

BestIsWest Sat 13-May-17 21:08:35

what about the Aubrey-Maturin series. The main characters aren't pirates but some of the books do feature pirates IIRC. Good seafaring yarns anyway.

piebald Sun 14-May-17 20:51:21

Try Zorro by Isabelle Allende, got a pirate section in i think,

RightOnTheEdge Sat 20-May-17 22:15:52

I always wished someone would write a book or make a film about Mary Read and Anne Bonney. Their stories are great!

InsaneDame Sun 21-May-17 20:06:00

RightOn The book I've just finished featured them but not in great detail unfortunately. I enjoyed watching Black Sails, hence why I decided to read a non-fiction on pirates. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now