Talk

Advanced search

Economics and political books

(6 Posts)
Deathraystare Fri 12-May-17 09:09:49

After reading the post on maths and physics books, I would be grateful if mumsnetters could recommend any one Economics and also any political ones (not nec Biographies). I just want to get my head around the two subjects as I am thinking of maybe doing a course later on. The politics would be mainly British though I am also interest in other places too.

Thanks

Sadik Fri 12-May-17 14:55:35

Economics - I would really strongly recommend "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism" by Ha Joon Chang. (It's not in any way anti-capitalist, just to be confusing.)

The same author has a book called "Economics: A Users Guide" in the new Pelican Introductions series, but IMO it's not as good as his earlier book.

I haven't read it, but "Economics: A Very Short Introduction" by Partha Dasgupta is meant to be good from what I've heard.

Geo-politics - "Prisoners of Geography" is absolutely brilliant - short, easy to read and fascinating.

On the politics/sociology boundary: "Social Class in the 21st Century" (another of the Pelican introductory series books) is well worth reading.

Sadik Fri 12-May-17 15:01:35

For an overview of British politics in context since 1945, Andrew Marr's book "A History of Modern Britain" is rather shallow in places but still a good easy read that gives the broad view.

If you're feeling a bit more hard-core, you could work your way through Eric Hobsbawm's "Age of" books (first one is "Age of Revolution").

Deathraystare Sat 13-May-17 16:22:42

Aaaah you lovely people! Thanks so much!

AuldHeathen Mon 15-May-17 14:07:48

I've just acquired Ian Dunt's Brexit. What the hell happens now? It looks good and too long. Ian Dunn also runs a website.

For Russian politics you would do well with Kuke Harding. He's done several books.

I'm not sure if this would suit you, but books by Mark Thomas are popular in my house.

AuldHeathen Mon 15-May-17 14:08:56

NOT too long, obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now