Talk

Advanced search

Books where stuff happens!!!

(22 Posts)
tobee Thu 11-May-17 14:49:55

blushSorry that the thread title is so daft.

I'm looking for books that you might call adventure books for adults. Not something involving sci fi or fantasy. Preferably something with a female protagonist. I've read loads of lovely books about the minutiae of life like Barbara Pym or Persephone books recently and could do with something a bit more amped up! Not so much interested in domestic issues like marriage breakdown. Maybe with a travel/road trip element.

Hope this makes sense and sparks some thoughts,

OP’s posts: |
NomNomNominativeDeterminism Thu 11-May-17 15:18:13

The Adventures of Hannie Richards by Hilary Bailey if it's still in print. A bit of its time maybe - late 1980s I think - but from memory, a good read and does what you're looking for.

Sadik Thu 11-May-17 17:06:39

Do you like thrillers? Stasi Child (set in the former DDR) is good, and has a female protagonist.

Sadik Thu 11-May-17 17:08:42

Or more literary - The Wolf Border by Sarah Hall. Lots of stuff happens!

MommaGee Thu 11-May-17 17:13:35

What's wrong with fantasy op??

Jasper Fforde "Wednesday Next" series is alternative history. Daft but good

TizzyDongue Thu 11-May-17 17:21:17

Nomad by James Swallow

Not a female protagonist but there are female characters who have their role. Lots of action

I am Pilgrim is a blockbuster in a book

tobee Thu 11-May-17 18:19:59

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nothing really wrong with fantasy, Momma, just in the mood for something a bit more earthbound iyswim smile

MommaGee Thu 11-May-17 20:09:20

Was just going to say if its the lack of decent female characters I have a recommendation was all

I try to alternate my fantasy with horror and reality and smush

tormentil Fri 12-May-17 15:19:40

Elizabeth Arthur - Antarctic Navigation
Annie Proulx - That Old Ace in the Hole
Barbara Kingsolver - The Bean Trees, Pigs in Heaven

KeithLeMonde Fri 12-May-17 16:16:09

Stef Penney, The Tenderness of Wolves

Also lots of recommendations on the 50 Books thread for Rush Oh! by Shirley Barrett

NomNomNominativeDeterminism Fri 12-May-17 22:32:50

I've just remembered this one cos of the historical fiction thread: The Beacon at Alexandria by Gillian Bradshaw. The narrator is a woman who trains as a doctor in 4th century AD Alexandria and passes hersel off as a eunuch to do so - it's not weird in context. She ends up as a doctor in the Roman army. It's really good!

tobee Sat 13-May-17 11:32:04

Great, now I get to check them out, looking forward to it!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-May-17 19:28:59

Have a look at Life after Life by Kate Atkinson too.

Curlysue87 Mon 15-May-17 19:31:29

Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series.

DubiousCredentials Mon 15-May-17 19:50:42

I really recommend the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. Kinsey is a private detective in 1980's California but the stories aren't at all dated. The first one is called A is for Alibi and they go all the way through the alphabet up to Y which is being released in August. Great detective stories with a very likeable protagonist who is female but not "girly".

tobee Tue 16-May-17 11:29:00

Cool! More recommendations.

I found Hannie Richards on Amazon NomNom and it was delivered yesterday. When I was young my df read The Thirty Nine Steps to us on holiday and I thought it was the best thing ever, so I'm looking forward to this! Thanks everyone.

Tazerface Sun 21-May-17 00:04:46

If you enjoy Kinsey Millhone @DubiousCredentials you should try both Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich and the VI Warshawski books by Sara Paretsky. VI is a lot more gritty, her series starts in the 80s and goes right up to the present time.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 23-May-17 15:41:01

These kind of involve sci-fi (of a sort) but have a great female protagonist and history.

Recommended to me by Mumsnet - the St Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor. Really good fun if you don't want anything too heavy for a change. Best to read in order.

Radishal Tue 23-May-17 15:45:16

Another vote for Wolf Border. Stuff happens quite a bit in that.
Code name Verity. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. Anything by Sara Paretsky.

Quaintrellem Sat 10-Jun-17 21:13:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JennyGreenteeth Mon 19-Jun-17 15:07:21

They came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie has travel, adventure, action, mystery and a female protagonist.

tobee Mon 19-Jun-17 17:53:26

Ah, now I read They Came to Baghdad in my teens. Quite fancy reading it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in