Talk

Advanced search

What to read after Poldark?

(9 Posts)
ProseccoBitch Thu 11-May-17 13:03:04

I've read the whole series of Poldark books and am now mourning them but never re-read books. I've read several books since but nothing is matching up and I can't get into anything properly. Any recommendations from fellow Poldark lovers for something else that might match up?

Since finishing the last one I've read The Art of Racing in the Rain which I thought was crap, the first Clifton Chronicles book by Jeffrey Archer which was OK but not great, and an Ian Rankin (I'm working my way through the Rebus series but it's just so dour compared to Poldark...) and next on my list is Decline and Fall as I haven't read any Evelyn Waugh before.

SplitInfinitive Thu 11-May-17 13:38:54

If you like historical fiction then maybe the Shardlake series by C J Sansom, or the Giordano Bruno series by S J Parris. Both series are good. Or perhaps The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor.

PurpleWithRed Thu 11-May-17 13:42:59

Or the Aubrey/Maturn series by Patrick O'Brian?

LittleCandle Thu 11-May-17 13:48:07

Try Dorothy Dunnet. She's very good. Anne O'Brien, although her novels are stand-alones, not a series. Sharon Kay Penman. She has several books out that stand alone, but are also a series. Try Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning. Then go onto When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance and The Devil's Brood. Then there's Lionheart and King's Ransom, plus 4 medieval mystery novels, which are stand alone, but follow along chronologically.

ajandjjmum Thu 11-May-17 13:48:27

I read the Poldark series in the 70s, and re-read (together with the additions) last year. Really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed the Clifton Chronicles, and also LOVE Wilbur Smith - I think 'The Lion Roars' is the first in the series. They'll keep you going for months! smile

orzal Thu 11-May-17 13:50:40

Barbara Erskine, starting with Lady of Hay.
Susan Howatch.

BagelGoesWalking Thu 11-May-17 13:53:01

Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series. TV adaptation on Netflix, Season 1 anyway.

ProseccoBitch Thu 11-May-17 20:30:26

Thanks for the suggestions. I've listened to a couple of Shardlakes as talking books when I've driven to Europe but seem to remember I found them dull. A friend of mine who's a Poldark fan also recommended Wilbur Smith. Keep them coming if you think of any more smile

Wormulonian Mon 15-May-17 09:25:26

One of the big family sagas by Susan Howatch such as Penmarric, The Wheel of Fortune, Cashelmara.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now