Talk

Advanced search

What to read after Poldark?

(28 Posts)
ProseccoBitch Thu 11-May-17 13:03:04

I've read the whole series of Poldark books and am now mourning them but never re-read books. I've read several books since but nothing is matching up and I can't get into anything properly. Any recommendations from fellow Poldark lovers for something else that might match up?

Since finishing the last one I've read The Art of Racing in the Rain which I thought was crap, the first Clifton Chronicles book by Jeffrey Archer which was OK but not great, and an Ian Rankin (I'm working my way through the Rebus series but it's just so dour compared to Poldark...) and next on my list is Decline and Fall as I haven't read any Evelyn Waugh before.

SplitInfinitive Thu 11-May-17 13:38:54

If you like historical fiction then maybe the Shardlake series by C J Sansom, or the Giordano Bruno series by S J Parris. Both series are good. Or perhaps The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor.

PurpleWithRed Thu 11-May-17 13:42:59

Or the Aubrey/Maturn series by Patrick O'Brian?

LittleCandle Thu 11-May-17 13:48:07

Try Dorothy Dunnet. She's very good. Anne O'Brien, although her novels are stand-alones, not a series. Sharon Kay Penman. She has several books out that stand alone, but are also a series. Try Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning. Then go onto When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance and The Devil's Brood. Then there's Lionheart and King's Ransom, plus 4 medieval mystery novels, which are stand alone, but follow along chronologically.

ajandjjmum Thu 11-May-17 13:48:27

I read the Poldark series in the 70s, and re-read (together with the additions) last year. Really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed the Clifton Chronicles, and also LOVE Wilbur Smith - I think 'The Lion Roars' is the first in the series. They'll keep you going for months! smile

orzal Thu 11-May-17 13:50:40

Barbara Erskine, starting with Lady of Hay.
Susan Howatch.

BagelGoesWalking Thu 11-May-17 13:53:01

Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series. TV adaptation on Netflix, Season 1 anyway.

ProseccoBitch Thu 11-May-17 20:30:26

Thanks for the suggestions. I've listened to a couple of Shardlakes as talking books when I've driven to Europe but seem to remember I found them dull. A friend of mine who's a Poldark fan also recommended Wilbur Smith. Keep them coming if you think of any more smile

Wormulonian Mon 15-May-17 09:25:26

One of the big family sagas by Susan Howatch such as Penmarric, The Wheel of Fortune, Cashelmara.

ProseccoBitch Tue 30-May-17 15:40:29

I've just bought Penmarric, looks good, thank you!

AnneEtAramis Mon 05-Jun-17 20:57:11

I was going to suggest The Last Kingdom series too.

RMC123 Tue 06-Jun-17 16:57:03

Penmarric is fantastic. Years since I read it. Might have to have a reread this summer.

beguilingeyes Thu 08-Jun-17 12:15:06

Anything by RF Delderfield. Particularly To Serve Them All My Days, a Horseman Riding By and Diana.

Daphne Du Maurier? Many set in Cornwall

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Penman best book ever).

I love the Poldarks too. Winston Graham is such an under-rated writer

snozzlemaid Sat 24-Jun-17 15:14:03

How about Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. There are 8 in the series at the moment and she's writing more.
I'm a huge Poldark fan and love these just as much.

ProseccoBitch Mon 03-Jul-17 13:52:04

I enjoyed Penmarric, am now reading Cashelmara and have ordered Wheel of Fortune so thank you to everyone who suggested Susan Howatch.

The Outlander books sound like they have a fantasy element and I can't stand anything even mildly fantastical so I'll give those a miss.

ProseccoBitch Mon 03-Jul-17 13:55:39

I've also ordered Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Lessstressedhemum Tue 04-Jul-17 13:05:38

If you can get over the initial time travel bit, the Outlander books are a pretty much straightforward historical romance set against the political backdrops of the time. Other than the fact that Claire fell through time and is obsessed with the safekeeping of her first husband, there is no fantasy in the first 4 books. The time travel gets a bit more input in the later books, but it's really a very minor part of the story.

snozzlemaid Tue 04-Jul-17 18:49:43

Hi Lessstressedhemum. Glad to see you're backing me up and trying to spread the Outlander word still!

Lessstressedhemum Wed 05-Jul-17 10:03:47

Absolutely, nothing like a bit if Jamie to brighten your daygrin

dresdenshepherdess Wed 05-Jul-17 10:24:24

Norah Lofts, The House Trilogy
Cazalet Chronicles
Flambards (OK, so children's books but I still love them!)
Mary Stewart - some of hers are historical, others set in 20th century
A S Byatt
John Galsworthy
Mary Wesley

Yeswecankle Wed 05-Jul-17 10:30:03

If you want more Cornwall I'd suggest One Last Summer at Hideaway Bay. More of a beach read but seriously good.

ProseccoBitch Wed 05-Jul-17 11:38:13

Thanks @dresdenshepherdess - I particularly like the sound of the Norah Lofts trilogy. I loved the Flambards books when I was a kid. Many thanks for the other suggestions too, lots to go on there.

I can tell from the cover that Hideaway Bay isn't going to be for me, I'm not a beach reads type smile

jeapurs54 Fri 07-Jul-17 16:42:49

If you go to your local library they may have a book that is called:-
Who writes like ...... and it gives suggestions of various Authors that you may find helpful and enjoyable. I hope that with the advise people are giving and the book if you manage to get you will be enjoying books for a while. I am not a Poldark Reader yet but there is always time I am more of a Crime/Psycological Thriller type books myself. So if you ever become bored of Historical Novels get in touch smile

AKAmyself Sun 09-Jul-17 19:52:47

Outlander, dont be put off by the time-travel element, it's a gorgeous, gorgeous series. I have had actual RL conversations with my bff about who would win in a fight, Ross or Jamie smile

HappydaysArehere Tue 18-Jul-17 21:18:22

I would like to read Poldark but is it the same as the series? I must say I prefer reading a book before watching dramatisations. Are there any surprises in the books?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now