Talk

Advanced search

is goodreads losing its integretity?

(11 Posts)
scaredofthecity Wed 10-May-17 06:48:08

I use goodreads a lot to influence my reading choices but I have started to notice books that newly released books that I thought were mediocre at best have been given very high reviews.
There are many reviewers thanking whoever for their free copy, I'm starting to think they are not being honest.
Does anybody else have an opinion on this?

SplitInfinitive Wed 10-May-17 08:15:13

I use Goodreads to record my own reading, and reviews. I haven't noticed a significant shift in the site's integrity. There has always been the Goodreads Giveaway section, where they expect you to read the book if you've won one and then write a review of it. That review should be honest, so if you haven't enjoyed it then say so - I would, but perhaps other reviewers aren't? People who get books via NetGalley also leave reviews there.

Anyway, all reviews are personal, aren't they? One person's favourite book is another person's fuel for bonfire blush

Clawdy Wed 10-May-17 10:18:04

Don't know much about Goodreads, would you recommend joining? Is it free?

I use Goodreads and had not noticed a shift to be honest.

My thinking is that everyone will have a different view of a book. I have read some from Netgalley that I think are amazing but nobody else was keen on.

(Yes Goodreads is free).

SplitInfinitive Wed 10-May-17 10:58:30

Clawdy - yes, I would recommend Goodreads. It's completely free, and I find it very useful for keeping records of all I've read. You can divide down into shelves, keeping everything in separate categories so you can find them again. You don't have to write reviews if you don't want to, you can make friends based on shared interests/books, join online book groups if you want to. It's an interesting site, run by and for readers smile

scaredofthecity Wed 10-May-17 12:34:00

sorry just realised my OP doesn't make a lot of sense!
it's just me then, I get that a review is totally subjective. It's probably my fault for reading trashy thrillers, I guess I can't expect quality writing in this genre. blush

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 10-May-17 14:35:54

I mainly use it for keeping track of what I've read too. I did join a couple of groups at the beginning but quickly lost interest. As a result, I haven't noticed anything different.

Clawdy Wed 10-May-17 17:21:17

Thanks for that info, SplitInfinitive , will check it out later.

HappydaysArehere Fri 12-May-17 09:30:40

I usually look at Goodreads before I buy a book. Have found it really helpful. I did look at joining it once but it seems rather complicated and my mind was full up with past passwords which I didn't want to use! So lazy at the time but perhaps I should look again.

carbuncleonapigsposterior Fri 12-May-17 18:06:05

I don't buy my books on Amazon, but read their customer reviews and see what the overall star rating is and use that as a guide.

LadyDeadpool Fri 12-May-17 18:31:21

If you're reading trashy thrillers then you're going to be reading a lot of "THE facebook book clubs" (or whatever its called) pet authors, you are only allowed to publish glowing reviews of books by authors in the group. Honestly it's a little cult like. I left it because it just ended up being fawning over certain authors and the reviews just weren't honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now