Talk

Advanced search

Fingersmith

(41 Posts)
Ineedagoodusername Wed 03-May-17 22:50:30

Wow! Just finished this!

Mymothersdaughter Wed 03-May-17 22:55:20

Have you read tipping the velvet too? Sarah waters is bloody amazing. There's an adaptation of fingersmith too, I've watched it about 5 times blush

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 06:41:44

Yes read them all except affinity. The night watch is my favourite

SplitInfinitive Thu 04-May-17 06:44:28

I read Fingersmith a couple of years ago and loved it too.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Thu 04-May-17 06:50:13

I'll never forget the first time I read Fingersmith. I was in bed, it was getting late so I thought I'd finish the chapter and then stop...

Except the end of that chapter was such a massive WTF???? that I ended up reading the whole book in one go and finishing an hour or two before I had to get up for work.

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 06:52:58

So many twists, so clever. I will have to watch it now.

Mymothersdaughter Thu 04-May-17 07:03:48

I've just finished the paying guests. It was good but prefer the ending of fingersmith <3

Seachangeshell Thu 04-May-17 16:36:09

I've read all her books. She is a brilliant writer and Fingersmith is her best novel imo.

TheHiphopopotamus Thu 04-May-17 17:58:48

Love, love, love Sarah Waters!

The tv adaptation of Fingersmith is excellent too and there's just been a Korean (I think) remake of it set in WW2 rather than the Victorian era which is also rather good. Think it's called The Handmaid.

troodiedoo Thu 04-May-17 18:02:39

Sarah waters is some kind of genius, think I need to re read.

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 21:07:24

What's affinity like? I might buy on amazon.

southeastdweller Thu 04-May-17 21:45:40

Affinity is the one book of hers I couldn't finish. Too dense, too dull.

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 21:48:41

Oh pants sad

Chewbecca Thu 04-May-17 21:57:13

Reading Fingersmith now! Not long into part 2, still reeling from the ending of part 1. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Had previously read & loved The Paying Guests.

Surprised how different the two books are in style, though there are similarities, I'm impressed how she writes in different eras.

TheHiphopopotamus Thu 04-May-17 21:57:50

Yeah, Affinity is my least favourite book (and tv adaptation) of hers as well.

The Night Watch is good though.

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 21:59:15

She's an incredible writer. Just amazing.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 04-May-17 21:59:33

Yes, Fingersmith is her best. The others are all excellent in atmosphere and character but none of the plots are half as good.
One day I am sure she will hit on another equally good plot and meanwhile there's enough to keep me hooked, but some of the endings have been a bit disappointing.

Chavelita Thu 04-May-17 22:03:04

Affinity is good, and not dissimilar to Fingersmith in terms of some themes and a massive plot twist. Probably rather gloomier in tone, though -- as the main setting is a Victorian prison, with the occasional seance thrown in -- but definitely worth a try if you liked Fingersmith.

It's her more recent Ines I don't much care for. I found The Paying Guests lengthy and not terribly absorbing.

Chavelita Thu 04-May-17 22:03:48

Her more recent ONES -- who is Ines??? grin

Ineedagoodusername Thu 04-May-17 22:06:54

I liked the paying guests!

PinaGrigio Mon 08-May-17 16:12:22

Sorry to see Affinity is getting a bit of a kicking. I liked it a lot. In fact I re-read it only the other day and it was still as good <Lynda Snell sniff>. It's not a happy read, I'll give you that, but the end twist is well done, and the background on the Victorian spiritualist movement is interesting.

My favourite is still The Night Watch, though. Loved the structure and the characters. I thought the TV series really didn't do it justice, though it was a good cast.

Liska Mon 08-May-17 17:38:23

I think The Night Watch and The Little Stranger are her best but tbh I love all of them. Fingersmith is probably the best page Turner (I must read it again!) but The Night Watch was so beautiful it made me cry.

lucydogz Mon 08-May-17 18:06:48

I still remember sitting, with my mouth open in shock, when I came to the end of THAT chapter. Fantastic. The film is very poor, IMO. I also enjoyed Affinity very much, but Tipping the Velvet read as though she'd done a thesis on Victorian sexuality and regurgitated all her research.

lucydogz Mon 08-May-17 18:08:10

Also, if you enjoyed Fingersmith, you'll probably enjoy The Lady in White by Wilkie Collins as they're quite similar

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-May-17 18:10:55

I really loved all her books! DH is in the TV adaptation of the night watch incredibly briefly, he was the husband in the flash backs and photos. Best haircut he's ever had and he was paid to have it done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now