Talk

Advanced search

Into the Water - Paula Hawkins

(22 Posts)
southeastdweller Sun 23-Apr-17 10:46:19

From the author of 'The Girl on the Train'. I'm looking forward to reading her second book, anyone else? It's out early May.

SplitInfinitive Sun 23-Apr-17 13:58:43

Yes, I am smile I enjoyed The Girl on the Train - good old fashioned kind of thriller.

southeastdweller Wed 26-Apr-17 21:08:02

The reviews have been mediocre so instead of buying it I've put in a reservation at the library.

Clawdy Wed 26-Apr-17 21:23:26

Just seen some very poor reviews - second book is always difficult after a mega hit, I guess.

SplitInfinitive Thu 27-Apr-17 05:26:45

Yes, library reservation is the way forward then smile Agree, second book can be a hard one to get right but the third hopefully will be another good one.

southeastdweller Wed 03-May-17 22:32:45

Anyone started this yet?

SplitInfinitive Wed 03-May-17 22:43:00

Listening to abridged version on R4 Book at Bedtime. Doesn't really count though as so much has been edited out.

waycat Mon 08-May-17 15:52:21

I saw this at my local Sainsbury's and had a quick flick through it.

I was immediately put off by what looked like each chapter being told by a different character, of which there seemed to be a great many.

Personally I find that sort of book somewhat confusing. However, I haven't read anything by this author, so maybe I'm missing out on a good story. I shall keep an eye on the reviews......

SplitInfinitive Mon 08-May-17 17:05:57

I've ordered a copy from the library. Could be a bit of a wait though smile Will still listen to R4 too.

Northernpowerhouse Mon 08-May-17 20:20:05

I have just bought the unabridged audiobook of this as I am having an eye op on wednesday and need to rest for 48 hours after - without using my eyes!! Enjoyed Girl on a Train so will be interested to see how it measures up.
Had the first eye done last week and listened to The Couple Next Door, quite good if a little far fetched!!

Northernpowerhouse Mon 08-May-17 20:23:25

Btw much prefer the usual method of consuming books and will be back to it in a couple of weeks. Needs must I suppose!!

waterlego Sat 13-May-17 10:40:10

I've just finished it. I liked it. Not sure whether I liked it as much as TGOTT, but it was a good read and plenty twisty. Won't say anything else if no-one else here has finished it yet!

thisonehasalittlecar Thu 18-May-17 23:29:33

The set-up is quite contrived. I did enjoy a lot about it; it has a large cast of well-drawn characters, but weirdly I couldn't get a clear mental image of the setting, which is very central to the book. I read a lot of domestic noir and this is a cut above most of it, but not the stand-out I thought GOTT was.

southeastdweller Mon 29-May-17 19:41:09

I didn't think she evoked the time and place well and I didn't like there being so many characters. Felt nothing about the killer reveal and felt the twist was boring. An OK read but I'm glad I got the book from the library instead of paying for it.

Ohb0llocks Sat 24-Jun-17 17:57:52

An ok read... not a patch on girl on the train.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 29-Jun-17 09:43:22

I've just finished it.
As usual I rush read the ending.
As I don't want a spoiler on this thread could somebody please pm me to confirm the ending.

tripfiction Thu 29-Jun-17 19:38:03

Here's my review. Interesting up to a point, depressive, certainly won't have wide appeal: www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-northumberland/

tenpoletudor Tue 11-Jul-17 16:47:15

Just finished it this morning.
Not a patch on GOTT.
Too many characters each delivering chapters so too choppy changy for me.
Also, I live very near the locations so could visualise them but didnt feel she captured a sense of place at ALL sad
Ending was fine but i guessed it well in advance, whereas the GOTT was a really gripping read right till the end.

Twogirlsandme Thu 20-Jul-17 19:52:23

Totally agree about the sense of place. I thought it was set in America until about half way through.

OuchLegoHurts Sun 30-Jul-17 09:03:57

I stopped halfway through as I just didn't care about the plot or the characters. I felt it had a half hearted gloomy atmosphere and was the least 'likeable' book I've read for a long time

WeatherMaker Sun 30-Jul-17 09:49:56

I read it, but was very disappointed. Thought it a very poor follow up novel after The Girl on The Train. Wondering now if she was a one hit wonder or whether it was just second book syndrome.

Crispbutty Tue 15-Aug-17 22:32:49

Just finished it. Very difficult to get into and far too many characters whose names/ages/descriptions seemed similar what made it very confusing until half way. It got a bit better but the end was disappointing. Not as good as her first book but would probably adapt well to film. And could easily be set in America this time too.. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now