Talk

Advanced search

Help - I want to start reading again but have no idea where to start

(7 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 19-Apr-17 23:48:47

I read a lot as a child but gradually got out of the habit over the years. I read a bit on holiday but not much at home. I am now in my forties and don't feel well-read at all and I want to address this.

I have no idea where to start. Classic fiction or more contemporary? I don't want to start reading heavy going novels as I know I won't finish them, but on the other hand I don't want to read trash.

I like real life books as opposed to fantasy. I quite like thrillers and crime too.

Any suggestions for some starting points please?

berkshyre Wed 19-Apr-17 23:54:53

I got out of the habit while having young children. Also having a smart phone doesn't help as it's always there for 'easy' reading.

I think start with books that are well-written but not too taxing, so that you'll actually finish them and not give up. Then when you realise you are a reader again you can move on to weightier works. Or not! Nothing wrong with reading whatever you find enjoyable.

Right now, I highly recommend Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It's very gripping and funny, while dealing with some serious issues.

I also enjoyed the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling's pen name) detective novels. They have a breezy tone but keep you reading to the end.

User543210 Wed 19-Apr-17 23:55:00

If you want to start with thrillers these aren't too long and really interesting!

Misery - Stephen King
Mine - Robert R McCammon

elephantoverthehill Thu 20-Apr-17 00:00:58

I would suggest Maeve Binchy, a bit chick lit but some good undercurrents. Or re visit children's fiction, I loved rereading the 'Swallows and Amazons' series and 'Malory Towers' and 'St. Claire's'.

AdaColeman Thu 20-Apr-17 00:05:42

For thrillers and crime try The Shardlake series by CJ Sansom, or (not quite so well written but still fun) something by Gordon John Thomson.

AdaColeman Thu 20-Apr-17 00:15:14

A couple I've enjoyed recently are The North Water by Ian McGuire and The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman.

Happy reading!

LiveLifeWithPassion Thu 20-Apr-17 15:37:02

I think thrillers are quite good to help you get back into reading. I started off with books like Gone Girl and Apple Tree Yard. The 'page turning' element help.
I agree that smartphones don't help! They're too distracting and don't help with concentration levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now