Talk

Advanced search

Empire/raj based potboiler/sagas

(10 Posts)
PhyllisWig Mon 17-Apr-17 19:54:06

I have just finished a couple of Rosamunde Pilcher books which really hit the spot - light, engrossing story about pretty, rich people. They were long and passably written and easy to relax into and I want something else like that.

I quite fancy something set in the Raj or Happy Valley or something. It can't be something serious - my brain isn't up to Rushdie or The Raj quartet and it has to be facile (am in the middle of a harsh anxiety spiral so need total escapism). Jilly Cooper in bias cut satin on a veranda with a pink gin is where I'm at. Any suggestions?

jcscot Mon 17-Apr-17 22:43:03

Try MM Kaye - The Far Pavilions and Shadow of the Moon.

ChaiTeaTaiChi Tue 18-Apr-17 02:34:11

The Cazalet Chronicles.....set in England but an easy while engrossing big read.

Lovely book by Rosie Thomas called The Kashmir Shawl, goes from modern day Wales to India and Kashmir in the 1930's (I think?), with a mystery and a love story.....

The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark, a sweeping set of two stories set 90 years apart in the 1850's and 1947 at partition.....so good, really evocative.

tormentil Fri 21-Apr-17 12:06:46

Tanamera - Noel Barber
A Many Splendoured Thing - Han Suyin
Ties of Blood - Gillian Slovo

Wormulonian Fri 21-Apr-17 14:20:51

Set in the 1950's - so after the Raj, "A Suitable boy" by Vikram Seth is the mother of potboilers - it's huge and rolls along quite nicely. It starts with an upper middle class teen at her sister's wedding and follows her as her mother searches for a suitable boy for her to marry and brings in the history of partition etc too and the friendships and problems between Hindu and Muslim families. (There are a few very political boring chapters but they can be skipped with no problem in the storyline)

PhyllisWig Fri 21-Apr-17 21:25:34

Thanks for everyone, excellent ideas.

I may well look into a suitable boy - I'd always written it off as too 'hard' and a bit worthy but perhaps I've misjudged - I did that with Middlesex years ago then LOVED that.

FreeButtonBee Fri 21-Apr-17 21:31:19

The far pavilions is great. And written in quite a direct storytelling style rather than aiming to be clever.

ChristianGreysAnatomy Fri 21-Apr-17 21:33:24

Shadow of the Moon - utter pulp but God I love it. Alex Randall, fuck me hard marry me now!

tripfiction Sun 23-Apr-17 19:23:56

One book that I recently really liked is Dinah Jefferies "Before the Rains" www.tripfiction.com/romance-novel-set-in-rajasthan-of-the-1930s/ set Rajasthan of the 1930s

I also very much like Eden Gardens by Louise Brown (one of my top reads for 2016), this time set in Calcutta towards the end of the Raj www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-calcutta/

A House called Askival by Merryn Glover certainly transports you to time and place www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-mussoorie-india/

And finally Under the Jewelled Sky by Alison McQueen I found extremely readable www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-india-mid-20th-century/

KeithLeMonde Mon 24-Apr-17 13:58:42

This one was a good read: www.amazon.co.uk/East-Sun-Julia-Gregson/dp/1409102513?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now