argh! please, what is this book??

(11 Posts)
PoochSmooch Sun 16-Apr-17 20:43:34

I can't find it on my shelves and it's driving me crazy trying to remember what it's called!

It's a novel set across the 20th century. the main character is called something like adeline. She marries an irish toff who kills himself then goes to art college, taking her dog (clancy?) into class with her, becomes a society painter, has two gay best friends, has an affair with a Vita Sackville-Westian manic depressive novelist, eventually marries a much younger man called Charlie, a wayward schoolteacher who runs up massive debts, breaks her heart and then is killed then retreats to a tropical island called Larmes des Anges.

it's called something like an inconvenient woman and the edition that i had had a woman in a hat that obscured most of her face on the cover.

please help, it's driving me nuts confused how the hell can I remember the entire plot but not the title or the author!

flowers

tobee Thu 20-Apr-17 20:33:21

Bumping for you, coz sounds like an intriguing book. I tried googling the key words out of interest. Nothing came up that made sense. You've probably tried that already.

SplitInfinitive Thu 20-Apr-17 22:49:53

Sounds like the kind of epic novel Barbara Taylor Bradford would have written. It's not one if hers, is it?

Weebleswobbles Thu 20-Apr-17 22:52:57

Imperfect lady OP

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Imperfect%2BLady

Weebleswobbles Thu 20-Apr-17 22:59:52

Aarrggh wrong link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperfect-Lady-Sarah-Harrison-x/dp/0708842348

Weebleswobbles Thu 20-Apr-17 23:19:14

@PoochSmooch

PoochSmooch Fri 21-Apr-17 11:53:39

Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod THANK YOU weebleswobbles!

That is the very book.

It has been driving me crazy grin

I can now rest easy. There's even a kindle version.

How did you ever find it from my description? flowers

PoochSmooch Fri 21-Apr-17 11:56:57

Thanks for the bump earlier, tobee. It's a good read. Not great literature, but Adeline is a cracking character.

splitinfitive, A Woman of Substance was free on Kindle a couple of weeks ago, and it was re-reading it that reminded me of this book and set me off on my quest.

I do love a bit of a family saga bodice ripper blush

ChaiTeaTaiChi Fri 21-Apr-17 11:59:05

Thanks for posting this OP, I loved the authors book "Flowers of the Field" (and totally recommend you try it) and from the above link I see there are not one but TWO sequels for me to get, I had no idea! Thanks grin

PoochSmooch Fri 21-Apr-17 12:01:02

It might be a bit late to say "spoilers" about my OP grin so I hope you weren't planning on reading that, chai...

I might try some of her other stuff too, this was the only one of hers that I've read.

Weebleswobbles Fri 21-Apr-17 12:45:47

Hi @PoochSmooch grinso glad I could help you.

Enjoy reading it again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now