Talk

Advanced search

Small great things Jodie Picoult

(16 Posts)
Ineedagoodusername Wed 12-Apr-17 20:59:49

Not finished it yet but finding it very depressing. It's a good book, I do like her books even though she has a predictable and clichéd style of writing but it's still a hard going subject matter.

Ineedagoodusername Wed 12-Apr-17 23:24:12

Anyone else read this book?

5foot5 Thu 13-Apr-17 13:32:09

Is it one of her court room ones?
I only like those

waycat Thu 13-Apr-17 14:38:08

Sadly I've become a bit "meh" lately when it comes to Jodi Picoult.

I very much enjoyed her earlier books, especially the ones with a courtroom finale. I first read My Sisters Keeper a few years ago and have read all of her books since then, all except the one about the elephants - Leaving Time.

I shall be interested to hear what others think of Small Great Things, as at the moment I feel no compunction to read this at all......

bingandabong Thu 13-Apr-17 14:51:15

Ive just ordered my Copy, I have read all of hers and some are amazing (mainly the court room ones) and some are ok. I am hoping this one is a good one... The pact is still my favourite, oh and also the story teller is so moving and I have read that a few times

Ineedagoodusername Thu 13-Apr-17 16:35:13

I think it's one of her good ones. Yes it's a courtroom. The elephant one was fab. Agree her books can vary. I've read it in a few days, I liked the main character who have helped.

TipBoov Thu 13-Apr-17 16:38:23

It was a great book, I couldn't put it down, but the ending was absolutely ridiculous, even for a Jodie Picoult book.

Ineedagoodusername Thu 13-Apr-17 16:40:12

It felt rushed but I quite liked the ending! There is one thing I did find irritating and unbelievable but don't want to say as it would be a spoiler.

ScarlettDarling Sat 22-Apr-17 21:07:08

The first Jodi Picoult I read was "19 minutes" which I loved, but no others have blown me away. Won't read this one until it's a bargain on Kindle.

NapQueen Sat 22-Apr-17 21:08:51

Ive started it and its sort of fallen to the wayside. Which is a shame as usually I can whip through her books pretty quickly.

The elephant one was my favourite of hers. And I also really liked the Amish newborn one.

gabsdot Sat 22-Apr-17 22:05:43

I loved this book. I've never read a Jodi Picoult book before so nothing to compare it too.
I thought it was very interesting and enjoyable. I couldn't put it down.

Matilda2013 Sun 23-Apr-17 14:08:08

I've read all the Jodi picoult books and some are better than others. Nineteen minutes is my favourite and I really enjoyed the pact as well. The storyteller and small great things are two of my favourite more recent ones.

I don't like the whales one and not a massive fan of the wolf or musical one.

Kapoww Sun 23-Apr-17 18:02:49

I really enjoyed it. It's going to be made into a film.

BeverlyGoldberg Sun 23-Apr-17 18:44:42

I really enjoyed it.

My only gripe was the "new 'To Kill a Mockinbird'" description which it doesn't deserve.

However I did enjoy it. I thought the twist at the end (no spoilers) was well thought out but a tad far fetched.

PopGoesTheWeaz Sun 23-Apr-17 23:10:39

Me personally, I found this book really pretty poor. The whole thing seemed contrived and all of the experiences researched rather than authentic. And the writing didn't make up for it, in my opinion.

I think I was perhaps biased as I was expecting GREAT THINGS due to the Mockingbird comparison. Maybe okay for a quick light read, but if youre interested in race in america, probably better to look for a book written by a POC.

Clawdy Mon 24-Apr-17 16:47:14

Didn't really enjoy this, I'm afraid. I didn't find Ruth likeable, and Kennedy seemed to have an improbably sweet family life......None of it really rang true, and the twist at the end was rather ridiculous. Can't believe it was compared to "Mockingbird ".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now