Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations pls - like Atwood, Donna Tartt, Lionel Shriver

(10 Posts)
Poppytime Tue 11-Apr-17 15:33:55

I have enjoyed the above authors a lot but have pretty much read everything they have written so looking for recommendations that others have read who also enjoy these authors. I have a kindle and amazon recommends some it says are similar, but I haven't seen anything that takes my fancy and I'm desperate for a new read! Any help appreciated as I know you are a well read lot! Thanks in advance brewsmile

Poppytime Tue 11-Apr-17 15:37:15

Oh and quite liked some Philip Roth...

Murine Tue 11-Apr-17 19:18:16

The Power by Naomi Alderman is excellent (and endorsed by Margaret Atwood) a dystopia in which teenage girls develop the ability to deliver electric shocks and the world changes completely as a result.
I like similar authors to you and have recently discovered Elizabeth Strout and Sarah Moss, I am very much enjoying their novels.

Poppytime Tue 11-Apr-17 20:02:19

Thanks Murine! I actually saw the power on one of the amazon lists so I'll take a look, and at the other authors you mention

throughtheviolets Thu 13-Apr-17 19:28:25

Jonathan Franzen is brilliant at the middle class America family melodrama that I enjoyed in The Mandibles. His most famous novel is The Corrections but I started with Freedom and would recommend it wholeheartedly. I am halfway through the Corrections now and it is also excellent!

Poppytime Fri 14-Apr-17 19:26:47

Thanks Violets smile - I love having a list of books to read

mybrainhurtsalot Sun 16-Apr-17 18:18:22

Bit late, but a few more author suggestions - Sarah Waters, Anne Tyler, John Irving and Douglas Copeland.

I'm going to check out Murine's suggestions as they are all new to me.

Murine Sun 16-Apr-17 23:05:39

I hope you like them, poppytime and mybrainhurtsalot, they are all new to me this year too and I'm very glad I discovered them!
I'll check out your suggestions too, I used to love Douglas Coupland: thanks for reminding me, as I bet I've managed to miss a lot of his work these last few years when I fell out of the habit of reading!

user1486669405 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:12:20

If you like franzen then you'll like Copeland and if your like Copeland then you'll like Bret Easton Ellis.

Also most of A.M.Holmes.

Jonathan Safran Foer - Here I Am, is brilliant and hilarious.

Am currently reading Kingsolver's The Lacuna, am half enjoying it and half finding it a slog. I found Tartt's Secret History, to be similar.

AgentCooper Sun 16-Apr-17 23:12:29

Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread is a great book, I really enjoyed it. If you fancy going back a bit, I bet you'd like Shirley Jackson. Her books The Haunting of Hill House, We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Road Through the Wall are brilliant. They really capture that quiet seething and strangeness under the surface of respectable America and the frustration of women in the 1950s.

Her collection Dark Tales is brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now