Talk

Advanced search

if I like Robin Hobb, Sheri S Tepper, Margaret Atwood, what else should I read?

(7 Posts)
HumpHumpWhale Tue 11-Apr-17 07:43:07

I also like Lois McMaster Bujold (except the romance ones which are so dull) & have recently discovered Mercedes Lackey, which I'm quite enjoying. I'm primarily looking for new sci-fi/fantasy as 4+ years of sleep deprivation has left me struggling with anything too taxing! Maybe when DD sleeps through I'll go back to "real" literature... saying that, I do like Jane Smiley, Barbara Kingsolver and Audrey Niffeneger. And Kate Atwood.
I swear I also sometimes read books by men but for some reason I can't think of any at the moment! Except ones I don't like like George R. R. Martin (mysogynistic, creepy); David Eddings (sexist, really simplistic - liked them when I was 12); Raymond E Feist (ditto).
Any recommendations gratefully received. Especially for prolific writers! I love the feeling of discovering a writer and knowing I've got loads of their books ahead of me!

cdtaylornats Tue 11-Apr-17 08:08:28

Kim Harrison's Hollows series - 14 so far - Dead Witch Walking is the first.

Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series - 6 so far Rivers of London is first

TabbyM Wed 12-Apr-17 16:39:05

Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series - new one Bound is just out, starts with Fated. Bit like Rivers of London but better imo.

V E Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic series.

Jen William's new book The Ninth Rain, like a less rapey Valdemar.

MegBusset Wed 12-Apr-17 19:00:44

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow And Thorn series

theproudgeek Fri 21-Apr-17 16:23:28

Juliet McKenna - starting with The Thieves Gamble.
And Megan Lindholm, which is Robin Hobb's other pen name.

Sadik Fri 21-Apr-17 17:34:41

If you don't mind a bit of a YA vibe (definitely more Mercedes Lackey end of the spectrum than Robin Hobb) then I enjoy Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments (urban fantasy) & Infernal Devices (more steampunk-y) novels for easy reading.

Emma Newman's Split Worlds series is fun (parallel society still run on Regency lines where the humans are dominated by fae)

Sadik Fri 21-Apr-17 17:36:07

(I've also just suggested a load of sci-fi on another thread running atm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now