Talk

Advanced search

I need to rant about the book I'm reading

(8 Posts)
TheHatOfDoom Mon 10-Apr-17 17:10:49

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of The Stranger In My Home by Adele Parks.

I am enjoying it. It's keeping me interested and invested in the characters. And I really want to know how it ends.

But oh my god the whole plot hinges on something that's really really unrealistic and whilst I've been in that situation I'm sure would never happen. Anyone with any sense would know that.Every time it comes up I get annoyed. My enjoyment is getting less as I get further on.

TheHatOfDoom Mon 10-Apr-17 17:11:21

*never been in that situation

lolalament Tue 11-Apr-17 02:41:42

Wait until you've finished it. Something that happens in the climax of the story is even more unbelievable.

TheHatOfDoom Tue 11-Apr-17 09:08:32

How is that even possible?!

Noeuf Tue 11-Apr-17 09:19:03

Oh I can't stand AP anymore if she's the one who had some wanky don't tell anyone the ending but in one of her books?

Ditch it op, its not worth it. Since applying this principle to my reading life I'm so much happier

Tigernoodles81 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:14:34

oooh I'm intrigued now. I might have to get this and read it just to find out what this weird unrealistic situation is! this is an excellent marketing ploy!!!

lolalament Tue 11-Apr-17 12:22:19

You know how young children always finish stories with "and then they woke up and it was all a dream"?

Well, the ending here feels very similar to that.

TheHatOfDoom Thu 13-Apr-17 15:37:24

Finished it.

Tbh it felt like she cut it dead just as all the ending action was starting and then did a random several months later ending. I can't remember if this is a thing with her other books but it felt throughout like shr'd forgotten that writers are advised to show, don't tell.

It wasn't a completely terrible book but it wasn't great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now