Talk

Advanced search

Books for insomniacs

(7 Posts)
Airmid Fri 31-Mar-17 09:44:07

I often wake up in the wee small hours and if I don't go back to sleep I get up, make a drink and read for half an hour or so. So, I'm looking for suggestions for books that are pick-up and put-downable; not too intense; that are reasonable intelligent and which I might end up leaving for a couple of weeks before I come back (ie. nothing too complicated where I'll forget the plot and characters).
Many thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 31-Mar-17 18:39:51

Would a book of short stories be suitable?

RhuBarbarella Fri 31-Mar-17 18:43:18

The George RR Martin books, the song of fire and ice. Short chapters, endless books.

fatowl Sat 01-Apr-17 13:14:46

I gave up on the George RR Martin books - way to many characters to keep straight in my head and showed no sign of coming to an end.

Something like the James Herriot Books? Or the Call the Midwife books?

CinnamonSweet73 Sun 02-Apr-17 14:07:59

Bill Bryson maybe?

VestalVirgin Mon 03-Apr-17 19:47:06

"The Goblin Emperor" by Katherine Addison is low enough on the action that you can put it down after most chapters, but not sure about how complicated it is.

madeleinecreek Mon 03-Apr-17 19:50:49

Bill Bryson is good for this or re-reading childhood favourites. Or I read jenni murray's history of the world in fifty women or something and that was good for this sort of
Thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now