Talk

Advanced search

Too much choice, can't settle on anything. Help!

(15 Posts)
GrommitsEarsHurt Tue 21-Mar-17 21:04:52

Over the past few years I have bought more books than I have read. So I now have a few hundred of all genres waiting to be read BUT I have a non-sleeping child so have lost my reading mojo somewhat.

What can I read to get it back? Would love to have that feeling, where you can't wait to be able to pick up the book, again.

I'd like something rewarding but that doesn't require too much concentration. If someone suggests something I already have, then I know where to start.

tobee Tue 21-Mar-17 22:50:43

Similar to you on the too many books front! What do you like to read?

GrommitsEarsHurt Tue 21-Mar-17 23:30:26

A mixture. Thrillers, classics, some modern lit, some chick-lit. Anything that looks interesting tbh.

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 21-Mar-17 23:32:21

Have you read girl on the train (don't read if you've already seen movie) - I really enjoyed that

molemonkey Tue 21-Mar-17 23:44:04

Try the Chris Carter series, brilliant can't put down reads!

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 22-Mar-17 13:01:56

What have you got? Can you give us a list (abridged!) and we could help based on what we've read.

I recommend Where'd You Go Bernadette for easy but intelligent.

waycat Wed 22-Mar-17 14:11:03

I would recommend the Balzano/Byrne thriller series by Richard Montanari.

I accidentally stumbled upon book 8 in the series in my library a couple of years ago, and was so hooked I have bought the whole series and read right from book 1 up to the latest which I think is book 9.

American cop thriller series, with characters that are so easy to warm to and plots that keep you wanting to turn the page.

GrommitsEarsHurt Thu 23-Mar-17 02:09:31

Currently on my unread shelf I have:

The goldfinch
A little life
All the light we cannot see
Slade House
Anna Karenina
A Micheal Crichton
A Tom Clancy
Game of Thrones
The Historian
The Little Stranger
The Secret History
The fifteen lives of Harry August
Life after life

And loads more. Please tell me where to start, someone.....

And what is Bernadette about please? I keep hearing people mentioning it.

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 23-Mar-17 09:30:29

Slade House is short and a page turner.

The Secret History is long but also a page turner. I don't think you could go wrong starting with those.

The Goldfinch I liked but it is long and quite hard going in the middle section so I would wait till you're on a roll and read SH first.

I really enjoyed Life After Life. It's an easy read but well written.

Anna Karenina is one of the best books of all time in my opinion. I couldn't put it down and look forward to rereading it.

All the Light We Cannot See is quite good but takes a little bit of time to get into so maybe warm up to it.

Where'd You Go Bernadette is about a woman ex-architect who is intelligent and eccentric but has fallen into a rut. A chain of events lead to her disappearance, and the book is a collection of evidence put together by her daughter which documents what happened prior to her going missing, and a diary of her attempt to trace her. It is funny and sharp and upflifting and - different.

InsaneDame Thu 23-Mar-17 09:30:58

Well I've read The Historian and I really enjoyed it but not sure it would be the best one to try and get back into the habit of reading.....

GrommitsEarsHurt Thu 23-Mar-17 10:43:16

Thanks for the advice. Slade House followed by The Secret History it is. I'll also look for Bernadette too. And I'll leave The Historian for a while.

Thanks x

Bee7777 Tue 28-Mar-17 00:29:55

I feel like you should try out My Fight For My Family ( The Mega Pig File ) by David Jordan. It's a nonfiction crime book about a mother's baby being snatched off her in the street by social workers, and the father's fight that goes on for years to get his baby back, and the poot mother ends up with severre mental health problems. It's an emotive and shocking read tbh

Northernpowerhouse Wed 29-Mar-17 14:38:02

The Little Stranger. I found it really easy to read and it was the first of her books I had tried.

Northernpowerhouse Wed 29-Mar-17 14:40:06

Ooops! just seen your later post. So Little Stranger after Slade House and Secret History then smile

LiveLifeWithPassion Wed 29-Mar-17 14:51:02

When I wanted to get back into reading, I found thrillers and young adult books were the best.

Things like
Gone Girl
Apple tree yard
Girl on the train
Into the darkest corner
Hunger games

Most of them are films so you might have seen them otherwise they're worth reading.
I'm reading The Secret History at the moment and really enjoying it. I couldn't have read it as a 'getting back into reading' book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now