loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Aussie books set in the time when Single English women

(15 Posts)
Deathraystare Tue 21-Mar-17 16:29:16

became brides to farmers etc.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 21-Mar-17 16:34:04

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for but The Thornbirds is set on a sheep station in the Outback in the early 20th century.

And A Town Like Alice is about an English woman who settles in rural Australia but not sure about the farming.

Deathraystare Tue 21-Mar-17 16:42:01

Not really explaining things very well am I? think there was adverts put in papers from (for instance) farmers/ranchers in Aus wanting wives - This would have been years ago. Apparently there were quite a few lonely guys out there, I am not sure when it was but think it was before WW2, there was mass migration of single women.

Certainly not Thorn birds or town like Alice.

Deathraystare Tue 21-Mar-17 16:46:27

Thought I'd found 2 but they are written about Aussie women joing English men . Bugger!

ThomasHardyPerennial Tue 21-Mar-17 17:42:02

Are you looking for fiction, op? I'd quite like to read something like this too!

Curioushorse Tue 21-Mar-17 17:43:06

A Town Like Alice would be the classic one, wouldn't it?

SamiZayn Tue 21-Mar-17 17:45:39

Jojo Moyes- ship of brides

piebald Tue 21-Mar-17 17:45:39

I know neither of these are what you are looking for but The Overlanders by Dora Birtles is a good read. One Thousand white women by Jim Fergius is about brides for Indian Americans and there is a novel by Sarah Lark called in the land of the long white cloud which is about going to New zealand as governesses or to marry

SamiZayn Tue 21-Mar-17 17:46:29

Oh wait sorry I think that was Australian ladies and English men

piebald Tue 21-Mar-17 17:48:21

Hang on i remember hearing something on the radio about a book called fishing wives or fishing for husbands or something like that about women going looking for husbands but cant remember if that was oz or far east
Somewhere at the back of my mind is the novel you are looking forThe Ginger tree is good but thats Japan!

piebald Tue 21-Mar-17 17:50:57

The fishing fleet by Anne de Courcy but its India!

Deathraystare Wed 22-Mar-17 19:23:10

Oh how frustrating! There are real accounts. I think it was before WW2 - It was just rancher (do they call them that in OZ? and farmers living in the outback who advertised for wives. Cynically I don't think love was at the top of their list but I thought it might make interestig reading how someone from England coped with a somewhat different culture etc.

There isn't a specific book but I remember a travel book for women and at the back it had a list of books about the countries and included books like I describe. Oh well, never mind!

crapfatbanana Wed 22-Mar-17 22:48:28

All the Birds Singing by Evie Wyld has a young woman working on a sheep farm... she doesn't marry the farmer though. Excellent book.

Deathraystare Tue 28-Mar-17 11:20:16

Oh dear none of these books are right but thanks anyway! When/if I do find any I will reply. It was about true accounts of British 'spinsters' going over to Oz to get a husband. I think it was before the war (2nd) infact I am sure of it.

tripfiction Fri 07-Apr-17 16:52:21

The Secret River by Kate Grenville is the first in a trilogy about the settlement of Australia (fiction, not a true account)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton might fit the bill to some extent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now