How did you get into reading?

(20 Posts)
AutumnBlossom Thu 09-Mar-17 22:09:37

I know this sounds like a totally stupid question, but I wondered if reading was something you have done since childhood, if you had a break and had to get back into it, or if you started later in life.

I used to be such a book worm, but for whatever reason I stopped reading, I really want to get into it again, was wondering if anyone else had been in the same situation, where you want to read but it seems so hard to get into again.

Also be interesting to know how people started, what book you chose, how easy was it to get into, do you read every day?

I've got the latest Kindle, it was all I wanted bearing in mind my old Kindle never got used. I've charged it with intention to read, just really need to get back into it again. DD is reading the same books I did as a child, so really tempted to read some of the Enid Blyton classics. Really chuffed DD enjoys Enid Blyton and it's not all Diary of a Wimpy Kid or David Walliams.

Does anyone know if the Amazon e-book subscription service has yielded a better selection of books yet?

I get on really well with Audiobooks, but it's quite pricey subscription wise to get a book a month. I find it easier than holding books. I stayed with Audible long enough to get the GoT series and a couple of others, quite gutted that in all these years Harry Potter has never been added. Surely JK has enough she could share the love grin

I'll stop waffling, thank you brewcake

Weebleswobbles Thu 09-Mar-17 22:20:45

Fellow bookworm here, can't remember any time from childhood when I didn't have my head stuck in a book! I loved loved all the Enid Blytons and reread them as an adult as well as Adrian Mole and of course discovering wonderful new authors. Currently into crime and mystery, love Agatha Christie.

You've found the right place in MN to get plenty of great recommendations

Tell us what genre you'd be most interested in and get started!

MaroonPencil Thu 09-Mar-17 22:23:34

I used to love reading but have found it hard to get into lately, I start books and can't finish them. I am in a book club and that makes me finish at least one book a month, it gives me the motivation to keep going. I also find that when I can't read anything else I can read an Agatha Christie!

halcyondays Thu 09-Mar-17 22:30:53

Harry Potter books are on Audible now.

crapfatbanana Thu 09-Mar-17 22:31:50

I was a very early reader. We didn't have much money but I do remember having books - either passed on by others, or from jumble sales, charity shops or the library. I went to the library a lot. I played libraries. I loved Ladybird books, The Garden Gang, Enid Blyton and abridged classics.

I kept on reading through childhood and teen years but probably didn't read as much in my teens. I did love horror - Stephen King mostly and sci-fi/fantasy - Ray Bradbury.

I continued to steadily read for pleasure during A levels and university and then once I was working full time I went crazy buying books.

The only dip I've had in reading has been during infertility / fertility treatment / pregnancy and having small children. I just couldn't keep my mind focused. That was for 4-5 years. I did read still but not as frequently.

I read a lot now - and listen to audiobooks - but I don't always feel I'm getting reading satisfaction. I keep going though as I don't want to get out of the habit of reading as it's hard to get back into it.

When it's good it's great. I'm so glad I'm a reader - I can't imagine not being. My kids love reading too.

By the way, Harry Potter is on Audible smile

AutumnBlossom Thu 09-Mar-17 22:50:00

I keep setting reading goals, every month they're reset, I did manage 3 books in 3 months, but I know I'm capable of more. I really need the right environment though too, to be comfy, cosy and for it to be quiet, or maybe Radio 3 / Classic FM in the background.

I've mostly read historic biographies, or about history in general. But I enjoy everything, although one series of books I'd never read is the 50 Shades trilogy, as it's a mix of not my thing and I think it was really hyped. Good on E L James though, she did really well out of it. I think she reintroduced a lot of people back to reading, whether temporary or permanent.

I guess non fiction is really my thing, especially historic non fiction. I like the look of Robin Hobb's books though, plus I've listened to the whole GoT series, I wonder if I should read it too, not sure I can replicate the amazing atmosphere created in the audiobook.

Lonoxo Fri 10-Mar-17 07:29:23

I read a lot as a child but didn't really make the transition to adult reading and adult authors. Mostly due to uni, so little free time and I didn't want to read for pleasure when I have just been studying.

Over the past 5 years, I have got back into books. To start off with, it was due to a housemate that monopolise the TV so I spent more time in my room reading. Last year, I wanted to read a book a month, this year I'm aiming for 20. It helps to have an achievable target in mind and join a thread or goodreads to keep track.

I have a list of authors who I have heard of and I feel like it's now or never. I'm quite happy to pick a book based on the blurb or cover and give it a go. Using a library means there's little cost involved so if I don't like the book, it doesn't matter so much.

I read on my commute, at lunchtime and before bed.

MsGameandWatch Fri 10-Mar-17 07:34:04

I always did it. My Mum was a big reader so I suppose I picked it up from there. I was taking Peter Pan out of the library age 5 and it's still my favourite book/play.

Tarahumara Fri 10-Mar-17 07:45:48

I was an avid reader as a child, but stopped when I had young DC - initially too sleep deprived to read anything more challenging than a magazine, and then I suppose I was out of the habit.

When my youngest was 3 I made a New Year's resolution to read more and it became the only resolution I've ever stuck to! That was 4 years ago.

Come and join us on the 50-book thread OP. It's my favourite thread on MN smile

ThereAreNoGhostsHere Fri 10-Mar-17 08:07:10

I've always been a big reader. Probably growing up an only child meant there was always time and space and quiet to read so I did, and the habit has stuck. There have been dips and big troughs of no reading (for pleasure) when I was studying and when the DC were very small, especially after DS was born (he had bad reflux and needed to be carried upright all the time otherwise he couldn't keep anything down).

I find reading relaxing, and can't imagine a time when I wouldn't have a book or two on the go. In fact the thought of one day not having my next book lined up makes me feel a bit panicky grin Reading is a way of life for me. DH is a big reader too.

CiderwithBuda Fri 10-Mar-17 08:16:35

I've always been a reader. My mum was a big reader and I suppose that helped. And I remember being at my grandmothers and my mum and aunties and nana all swapping Catherine Cookson books!

To be happy best the only time I have not read so much is in the last couple of years are i have spent far too much time on here!

I joined Good Reads last year and did a 50 book challenge with my sister and actually managed it. Aiming for 60 this year.

I read most things although not keen on sci-fi.

Currently ploughing my way through the Outlander series. Have read them before but interest got piqued again having watching the series on Amazon.

I tried the 50 books threads on here but it kind of defeated the object for me as I was trying to stop being on here so much!

I found it's partly habit. The more you read the more you read if you get me! It takes conscious effort at first but I quickly got back into it.

MrsDoylesladder Fri 10-Mar-17 08:28:39

I got out of the habit and realised I was actually avoiding it - I have MS and it hurts my hand to hold a book for any length of time. Got a Kindle paperwhite a few Christmas' ago and it totally returned me to book worm mode. I was so sniffy about them before. What an idiot I was.

BertieBotts Fri 10-Mar-17 08:30:53

I read loads as a child but I find it harder to get into adult books. I don't know what it is sad I think I was just spoiled with excellent authors! I mostly read articles and forums online these days but I do have some kindle books and some paper books.

CiderwithBuda Fri 10-Mar-17 09:27:21

MrsDoylesladder - I was sniffy about kindles too. I have one now and love it. I still love 'proper' books but my kindle is great for travelling and being out and about and for big thick heavy books.

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 10-Mar-17 11:06:25

I always read all the time from very early, similar to others I found it hard to maintain when my 2nd baby came along as I was ill and in a lot of pain, no sleep and just couldn't focus. Had two years where I only read 4 books the whole year. I think if you stop reading for whatever reason you kind of get out of touch with what's out there to read. I started to feel better and naturally just began reading again. Then I joined the 50 books threads and now I'm never short of recommendations.

I get a lot of books on Kindle monthly/daily deals, use the library a lot and occasionally buy, usually second hand though.

One thing that struck me - you needing the right setting - you're making it harder for yourself by putting obstacles up! I read with the Kindle propped up while I'm cooking, supervising homework, drying my hair, waiting in line for anything, while the kids are watching something on tv, in bed until whatever I'm reading hits my face (Paperbacks are kinder in this regard)

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 11-Mar-17 06:09:43

I was an avid reader as a child. My enthusiasm for reading for pleasure waned whilst I was at university (too much other reading to do) and when my DC were very small (too tired) but now I read every day.

I read at every opportunity - during my lunch break at work, waiting for the DC at activities, in bed etc. I prefer "real" books to the kindle, but rarely buy new books. I use the library or buy second hand from the Oxfam bookshop then re-donate when I've finished.

I read all sorts, my favorite is literary fiction but I also read nonfiction, poetry, plays... anything that takes my fancy really.

needalittleL Sat 11-Mar-17 21:02:17

Always read. Actually much happier if I have a book on the go. Excellent for my mental health. First time doing a 'challenge' this year and I've read 4 books so far (onto 5).

I'm advocating so much for my daughter as her dad doesn't read and I really really hope she inherits my relationship to books as opposed to her dads.

Deathraystare Wed 15-Mar-17 19:40:43

So fecking bored reading Janet and John at school (changed schools when we moved) I would be desperate for something less nauseating when I got home. Read Dad's books on Greek/Roman myths, occult and sci fi.

thegoatwhogotthequiche Tue 21-Mar-17 10:24:28

My Mum was always reading at home and I think it rubbed off, when I was a child she would read my books and we would talk about them. My father was also a reader and I remember him reading some of the classics to me when I was 10 or 11, I remember him acting out the characters to keep it interesting.

I stopped reading for a while but being pregnant and needing to stop and rest got me back into it.

I think reading for pleasure and allowing yourself to 'give up' on a book if you are really not enjoying it helps. I will also read anywhere, it's great if the conditions are right but if not then I will carry on regardless (sometimes with cotton wool in my ears).

The Kindle was a revelation for me, I love trying a sample before I buy. I have also taken loads of recommendations from MN over the last few years too.

MiddlingMum Tue 21-Mar-17 20:01:52

I think I started at about 4 years old and haven't really stopped since. Maybe I read a bit less when the DC were babies but I've never stopped completely. I read Eng Lit so my university days were a great excuse just to go on reading. My parents used to read but not avidly, although DH is also a reader. Friends sometimes comment that our house is like a lived-in library.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now