Talk

Advanced search

100 best books

(13 Posts)
whensitmyturn Wed 08-Mar-17 10:04:46

I've given myself a goal to read or at least try and read the 100 best books of all time but there's so many lists out there. Is there no definitive list? Or does anyone know of an 'official' one?
Tia

InsaneDame Wed 08-Mar-17 13:29:13

Hello, I'm doing this currently - I've based mine on the Big Read top 100 list, I think it was done in 2003 so quite old now but I doubt much has changed really. The popular books are still popular.

whensitmyturn Wed 08-Mar-17 16:37:59

Thanks insane I'll check that out now, lots of the lists do have similar ones on. Just started grapes of wrath. How many have you read?

InsaneDame Wed 08-Mar-17 18:16:45

I've started at the bottom of the list and also not going to bother re-reading any that I might have read in the last couple of years. So taking all that into account I've read 37 so far. Good luck! I would be interested to know which list you decide on.

MoreThanUs Wed 08-Mar-17 18:21:16

Make sure it includes The Go-Between by L P Hartley. It's my favourite book of all time.

InsaneDame Wed 08-Mar-17 18:31:29

MoreThanUs the list I'm following doesn't have that but I have a hand written list alongside it if books that have been recommended to me - I alternate one from each list. I'm adding your recommendation! smile

Summerof85 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:40:52

There seems to be a few different lists. I've been trying to read some of the favourite classics. Recently I've read To kill a mocking bird, Lord of the Flies, Go set a watchman, Animal Farm and now reading 1984.

antimatter Thu 09-Mar-17 13:57:25

I think a lot of them are centered around american authors.
I would throw this list into the mix:

www.goodreads.com/list/show/278.Best_Foreign_Language_non_English_Book

MoreThanUs Fri 10-Mar-17 13:56:31

Insane, I hope you love it as much as I do. If you remember to, I'd love to hear what you think. Read it in the summer if you can as it's set in a heatwave.

InsaneDame Fri 10-Mar-17 18:36:54

Noted MoreThanUs, and I will indeed let you know what I think!

Backingvocals Fri 10-Mar-17 22:01:49

had a quick glance at that list antimatter and spotted three books by female writers - of which one was by a child and one was for children. That was on a quick skim but that's frankly horrendous.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 11-Mar-17 13:32:52

I would add All Quiet on the Western Front.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 11-Mar-17 13:33:33

I also love the Go Between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now