Talk

Advanced search

The Noise of Time

(7 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Fri 03-Mar-17 00:01:38

Really enjoying this fascinating book. Julian Barnes's writing is superb. It is a relatively short book but strangely it is taking me longer than I envisaged to read. This's is because it is impossible to skim and needs to be taken in without fear of missing anything. It is not hard work. It is an amazing, skilful work of art. Does anyone agree or disagree? Interested.

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 03-Mar-17 06:15:29

Definitely agree, it is one of the best books I've read recently. Beautifully written.

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 03-Mar-17 08:34:22

I wanted to love it and at the start thought I was going to, but found it ultimately disappointing. Exquisitely written, though, I agree.

whippetwoman Fri 03-Mar-17 12:31:49

I ended up having to speed read The Noise of Time as it was an ebook from the library and was just about to expire. I really enjoyed it as I knew nothing about the life of Shostakovich and I do have a massive soft spot for Julian Barnes, although his most recent Booker winner was not a favourite of mine.
If I hadn't had to read it so quickly then it might not have been one that I wanted to constantly pick up though, because it does take a bit of thought and careful reading. A thumbs up from me.

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 03-Mar-17 14:18:47

It took me quite a long time to read it, for the length of it, but I'm afraid I rather less charitably thought that was a drop in pace in the second half rather than the need for careful reading. Found out a lot of interesting things about Shostakovich though smile

HappydaysArehere Sun 05-Mar-17 10:37:12

Still reading it and still enjoying it. As said it has been really interesting to understand something about Shostakovich's problems and the thinking within the Communist State at that time. It reminded me about the Chinese Revolution depicted in Do Not Day We Have Nothing which was a recent Booker prize contender.

HappydaysArehere Sun 05-Mar-17 10:39:15

Sorry, it reminded me "of "not about. Should read before pressing post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now