Talk

Advanced search

The Vegetarian

(13 Posts)
NewYearNewNickname Thu 02-Mar-17 19:34:35

Anyone read it? Would you recommend?

NewYearNewNickname Thu 02-Mar-17 19:36:10

Meant to add I have tried a search but it just brought up reams of AIBU about vegetarians!

littlerach Thu 02-Mar-17 19:37:56

Litsy recommend it hugely - it's o my list smile

StewieGMum Thu 02-Mar-17 19:39:01

By Han King?

I've read it. It's utterly glorious. The writing is beautiful. But, it's not erotic. Not in any way, shape or form. In fact, it's the exact opposite. I loved it but I think the reviewers who call it erotic have been inhaling too many toxic tire fumes.

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 02-Mar-17 21:09:29

I quite liked it. It's an interesting read and quite well written but thought it had the feel of a short story. Not 'meaty' enough for a novel (apologies...blush)

hesterton Thu 02-Mar-17 21:10:49

It's very odd! But worth reading for the difference between it and so many other books. I think I enjoyed it...

Pipsqueak11 Thu 02-Mar-17 21:12:29

odd and quirky . i think i liked it but i am not 100%

One of my favourite reads last year, purely because it's beautifully written and totally bizarre!

Definitely not erotic.

Did have a bit of a giggle in the first few pages due to the bluntness in describing his wife etc

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 03-Mar-17 06:19:41

I enjoyed it, but it was very strange.

NewYearNewNickname Fri 03-Mar-17 16:19:00

Thanks for the responses everyone, I have decided to go for it but have made a deal with myself to not buy any more books until I have read one of my tbr so need to get on and do that first!
I like the reviews, odd / quirky appeals and I agree re the first few pages TripTrap as I have had a sneaky peak in Waterstones

crapfatbanana Fri 10-Mar-17 12:17:59

It's excellent. Very different from everything else I read last year.

RhuBarbarella Sat 11-Mar-17 15:36:38

Yes, I liked it too. It is different and it reminded me of why I used to have a thing for Asian literature. It is so not English!

Deathraystare Fri 12-May-17 09:54:17

I am looking forward to reading it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now