Talk

Advanced search

Share new parenting words with the Oxford English Dictionary for a chance to win £100-worth of children's books. Ends midday, Thursday 30 March

(135 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Mar-17 08:31:58

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) would like you - the real parenting experts - to help them improve their coverage of the vast vocabulary of pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting.

From TTC to baby-led-weaning, the language of pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting is as diverse as the opinions parents hold about these topics. And it’s changing, reflecting not only medical advances, but also developments in how we think about children and parenting.

Many such terms are relatively recent, and don’t appear in dictionaries - the OED is keen to capture them. So we're asking Mumsnetters to submit any pregnancy, childbirth, or parenting term that they think is important and which is not yet in OED Online (Search the OED for free). We'd like to hear about brand new words and new senses of familiar words.

In return, we're giving you the chance to win £100 of children's book vouchers. Share your parenting words by midday, 30 March to be entered into the draw.

All your suggestions will go through a process of assessment for inclusion in the dictionary, and the first additions will be published online in December 2017.

This discussion is sponsored by OUP

Books T&Cs apply

asuwere Thu 02-Mar-17 14:33:48

I put forward 'poonami' - understood by most parents (that I know anyway) and I'm sure most parents have experienced it at some point. (Definition, if needed, is a big poo explosion in a nappy which leaks out, usually up the baby's back, down their legs and if you're really unlucky all over the parent too!)

daffodillsarehere Thu 02-Mar-17 15:07:57

Pungle - the bumps and loops of hair that stick up when you put hair up in a ponytail or other and which can make little girls go crazy that their hair isn't smooth!

Even more likely if you have curly or wavy hair and even more frustrating trying to get rid of them.

Februaryrat Thu 02-Mar-17 15:32:16

A 'shituation': a poo that is likely to require two adults, a whole pack of baby wipes, a bath (for everyone involved) and possibly a new nursery carpet,

Februaryrat Thu 02-Mar-17 15:33:39

The Circle of Neglect: a Jumperoo

GrubReport Thu 02-Mar-17 15:56:18

"Core breach" or simply "breach": diaper that has started to leak solids through the legs.

"Coolant leak": diaper that leaks liquid matter.

MarriedinMaui Thu 02-Mar-17 15:57:24

I'm not sure if these count, of if they are phrases rather than words, but I just checked and they are not in:
Natural term weaning - breastfeeding until the baby stops naturally
Gentle parenting - google it!

Callmecordelia Thu 02-Mar-17 17:00:35

I had a look, and although this word is in the dictionary, the examples are very old.

Key worker is a term understood by almost all parents who have used an Early Years setting, and is quite common in conversation - "DD's key worker said she did X the other day."

Also have a look at the different types of parenting. Attachment parenting would yield a few - baby wearing, co sleeping, ring sling. That sort of thing.

ProfAnnieT Thu 02-Mar-17 17:35:55

screen-time - the amount of time children are allowed to spend on digital devices.

GiraffesAndButterflies Thu 02-Mar-17 19:25:39

'Latch' as a noun- as in, the baby's attachment to its mother's breast.

Whippetdays Thu 02-Mar-17 19:56:53

What about FF formula fed. Or EBM expressed breast milk?
Also CIO crying it out :-(

I have more that's just a starter for six ;-)

Whippetdays Thu 02-Mar-17 20:02:01

Or some bits around TTC acronyms?
BFP - big fat positive
BFN - big fat negative
Or the the usual ivf ones like
Stimming - to stimulate ovaries with synthetic hormones
OE - own egg
OHSS - ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (grim yes several times)

Mehfruittea Thu 02-Mar-17 20:25:22

Defleated - the general feeling of being utterly deflated by your baby's lack of enthusiasm or interest for something you have invested vast amounts of time, money and emotional energy in to; whilst at the same time also feeling defeated by the small child's efforts to sabotage your efforts with their sleep patterns, non-stop crying, puking and pooing outside of the nappy.

spoonranger1 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:53:56

Spuncle: from 'Sperm Uncle' - a known sperm donor who plays a special, but non-parental role in the child's life (i.e. like an uncle).

CheeseEMouse Thu 02-Mar-17 21:35:12

One that feels very relevant right now is "threenager". What happens when you feel slightly smug the terrible twos are over, and you just get a stroppy 3 yo instead!

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 02-Mar-17 22:13:49

'Whinese' - the whingy tedious noise (language) used by small children; often several bouts throughout the day for a prolonged period

foxessocks Thu 02-Mar-17 22:55:01

Baby led weaning (on my mind at the moment!)

Jenniferb21 Thu 02-Mar-17 23:42:06

'Baby led weaning' - providing baby with the choice of what they want to eat from a selection of finger foods and/or allowing baby to feed themselves with their hands and cutlery to enhance their senses and aid their independence.

I think this is such an important term because it has so many benefits and a lot of new parents I came accords didn't know about this method.

Some benefits:
- baby learns to feed themselves much earlier
- gives parents and caregivers more time not having to spoon feed
- helps baby develop their senses by experimenting with textures and the feel of different foods

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 03-Mar-17 09:05:24

Hangry - when a child (particularly a teenager) is short-tempered and irrational because they are hungry. Feed them, and all is sweetness and light once more.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 03-Mar-17 09:12:01

CLIF moment - acronym: Catastrophic Loss of Intestinal Fortitude. The event that comes after your toilet training (or even trained!) toddler has ignored their need to have a poo because Cbeebies is so much more interesting. AKA poonami in nappy-wearers.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 03-Mar-17 09:13:56

Threenager - the year after Terrible Twos.

Whippetdays Fri 03-Mar-17 10:36:20

Back to conception I thought overnight of
DE - donor egg
DD - double donor
Blast - for "blastocyst"
Trigger - used as the term when you take a drug to make you produce several eggs at once

Whippetdays Fri 03-Mar-17 10:44:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clairethewitch70 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:00:43

Tween/tweenager - in-between child & teen
Crunchy mother - supports all natural forms of parenting, breastfeed, organic food, reusable nappies etc
Helicopter parenting
Disney Dads

Vonklump Fri 03-Mar-17 11:48:38

Agree with several above.
Tantrumtastic - a spectacular (not in a good way) tantrum or tantrumtastic behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now